This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Half of the screen is darker? Help!

migxportugal

Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:30:10 pm

Hi guys,

I've recently reformatted my hard drive and installed Zorin OS on my desktop. What I've noticed is that half of my screen is slightly darker than the normal color. I am slightly color blind but I noticed this... I've also asked my friends if they see it and they do. I never had this problem before when I was using Windows 7 so I believe it's not a hardware problem. Also, I've created a screenshot of my display and sent it to another computer which uses Windows 7 and Fedora, the color problem isn't there. So I'm really guessing it's the OS.

It's noticeable especially when I watch movies, or when I visit websites that have strong colors (like this website). Has anybody experienced this?

Wolfman

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:52:30 am

Hi,

what graphics card do you have?, have you fully updated the system?.

Try running this terminal command and see if it helps:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

If you have an Nvidia card, look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490

Start by using the 304 driver PPA first if you have an older PC.

RESTART AND UPDATE AFTER INSTALLING THE NVIDIA DRIVERS, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!.

Regards Wolfman :D

migxportugal

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:37:51 am

I tried the command you posted but from the logs, it seems that I wasn't able to install/update anything.

Also noticed that during start-up, before the Desktop shows (that boot thing with memtest etc), half of the screen is already darker than usual. It has a different gradient than the other side. :/ Hardware problem?

Wolfman

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:07:21 am

Hi,

what graphics card do you have and have you tried installing any drivers?.

Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Additonal Drivers.

(Install the recommended version only!)

Let us know please.

migxportugal

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:15:39 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

what graphics card do you have and have you tried installing any drivers?.

Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Additonal Drivers.

(Install the recommended version only!)

Let us know please.

Hey there, I tried going to the Additional Drivers section of the Synaptic Package Manager but nothing was available. My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 4870. Pretty old. Any more things I should do? :)

Wolfman

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:38:23 am

Hi,

the AMD drivers only support card from 5xxx upwards in Zorin 7, stick with the opensource drivers as I have a 4xxx card on my notebook and they work fine!. The other alternaive is to drop down to Zorin 6 where the driver tool works!.

Did you run that command I posted?. Do you have your system sources set to "Main"?, see the update guide for further info:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

You can install the "FGLRX" drivers manually with the following terminal commnd, be aware that it may make matters worse!:

Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx

Restart and update after the restart, then restart again!.

Should you want to remove the fglrx drivers, use this teminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove fglrx

Then restart!.

Let us know if this helps.

migxportugal

Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:05:25 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

the AMD drivers only support card from 5xxx upwards in Zorin 7, stick with the opensource drivers as I have a 4xxx card on my notebook and they work fine!. The other alternaive is to drop down to Zorin 6 where the driver tool works!.

Did you run that command I posted?. Do you have your system sources set to "Main"?, see the update guide for further info:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

You can install the "FGLRX" drivers manually with the following terminal commnd, be aware that it may make matters worse!:

Code:

Restart and update after the restart, then restart again!.

Should you want to remove the fglrx drivers, use this teminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove fglrx

Then restart!.

Let us know if this helps.

Tried the following command:

Code:

and it just made it worse lol. It couldn't detect my display settings correctly so I removed it and I'm back to square one.

My repos are set to main. I also checked out the link you gave me and checked for broken packages but there weren't any. Sigh, this is sad. LOL. Maybe downgrading to 6 would do the trick?

Wolfman

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:47:40 am

Hi,

I strongly advise a downgrade to Zorin 6!.

I have no other suggestions for you sorry!. :(

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:51:44 pm

Just to add I had similar experience with my on-board ATI 3000 chipset - fglrx just made it worse. I would follow Wolfman's suggestion - unless you can upgrade to an nVidia card! :D