This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Install freezes at "Creating user"

BraesJohn

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:56:26 pm

Hi I want to install Zorin on my Samsung NP300E5C laptop alongside Win 7 professional to demonstrate to my Board the advantages of going Linux. :)
I downloaded the 64bit Iso pending the arrival of my paid for CDs and I can run Live CD perfectly no problems at all and I thought I'd got it made. The partitioning worked no probs but when it came to creating the user the install just stalls.
I've tried installing directly but the same thing happens. The partitions are /, home and swap and I've formatted them between installation attempts. All I get is the whirling disk after the creating user progress indicator reaches about 20%. It's been like that now for over half an hour which I know is not a good sign :(

Any Ideas would be gratefully received as I'd really like to persuade them to move away from Windows.

BTW I downloaded the 32 bit Iso and installed it on an older Asus Laptop as the only OS with no problems at all
Thanks
BraesJohn

After sending this post I clicked on the shut-down button bottom right of screen and managed to add a user with admin rights but the 'puter wouldn't let me shut down and after going for the kill with the on/off button the 'puter just went straight into windows so I guess that Grub hadn't been set-up :!:

Wolfman

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:48:47 am

Hi,

did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4771

Sounds like you may have a bad burn!.

Grub won't install if you didn't get through the install process correctly, let us know how you burnt the disk please.

Regards Wolfman :D

BraesJohn

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:07:21 pm

Hi Wolfman
Yes I'd noticed that bit of advice on the forum before I did it so I made sure it was at x1 speed and it verified correctly. The 32 bit Iso was burnt at the same speed and I had no problem with the install.
Would you suggest I download and burn again?

Wolfman

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:33:08 am

Hi BJ,

try starting the Zorin disk and when you see the menu, press the "TAB" key and type either "nomodeset" or "acpi=off"; press enter and see if you can install again, your disk was burnt at the slowest speed and it may be a graphics problem, do you have an Nvidia graphics card?.

BraesJohn

Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:20:59 pm

Hi Wolfman
Yep that got it acpi=off worked but nomodeset didn't. :D :D
Yes I have an NVIDIA card a GeForce GT 620M.
Hope this is of help to others.

Many thanks for your help. Now all I have to do I persuade my board. :lol:

Wolfman

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:20:00 am

Hi,

for Nvidia drivers open a terminal and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Restart your PC and try updating and restart again if there are any updates. VERY IMPORTANT!!.

See also:

posting.php?mode=edit&f=5&t=2490&p=10789

Can we mark this as solved now?.

BraesJohn

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:51:10 pm

Hi Wolfman
All done and working perfectly. Yes all solved many thanks.
John

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:52:31 pm

60 blue jewels to Wolfman! :D