This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

XP partition

msrmf

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:42:03 pm

All instructions say right click on free space select create partition when I do that is not one of the options, what am I missing?

msrmf

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:46:17 pm

Do I need to mark it as active first?

Wolfman

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:45:34 am

Hi,

I am not quite sure it is you are trying to do?, please take a look at the partition guide and let us know with more detail as to what it is you exactly want to do:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Regards Wolfman :D

msrmf

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:57:54 am

Right now I have Zorin on one drive and XP on another. I want to put Zorin on with the XP read the Ubuntu guides said is best to use windows to create partition with windows. Will be backing up both OS's with Redo when the external drive case and drive I ordered arrives, I guess the Redo can be used to create the partition but won't know for sure till I try. What I would like to try is create clone of Zorin with Redo and have it's destination be partition of the XP's drive, but like I said I'm not sure if I would have to have partition for it ready.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:17:43 pm

Hi,

use "Clonezilla" for your drive cloning:

http://www.clonezilla.org/

To create your partitions, use the Zorin Live CD which already has Gparted installed and use that tool to create your partitions, see the link I posted earlier for more details about partitioning.

msrmf

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:14:02 pm

Do I need only big enough partition for the Zorin (with little extra for updates) I assume both OS's share rest of disc, or should I half it?

Wolfman

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:29:42 am

Hi,

it all depends on how much diskspace you have, you should have a root partition of something like 15 - 20 GB's, a swap partition of double your RAM but not larger than 4GB and the rest for your home patrtition. As you have two drives; it shouldn't be a problem.

You must make sure that the bootloader (Grub) is placed on the master drive, normally listed as /dev/sda1.

msrmf

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58:17 am

After some more research apparently why I could not create partition with XP was because drive was mounted have to dismount first. Will I have to dismount it prior to using any other tool to partition?

Wolfman

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:31:09 am

Hi,

you cannot format mounted drives, any drive that is showing a lock beside it is mounted, right click and unmount, be careful what you are formatting!.