This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 7 on Macbook Pro

beerem

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:46:52 am

After a bit of searching, I managed to install Zorin 7 on my Macbook Pro.

However, now I am face with the following problems;

1. Getting the keyboard mapped correctly. The system setting fails to change the system settings to format as UK
2. Cannot see the WiFi hardware at all
3. Getting grub to startup the mac os (I have to intercept the grub boot with the Alt key to select Windows)

(I used bootpath to originally parttition the disk)

Any pointers received with thanks

Wolfman

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:23:40 pm

Hi,

use "Boot Repair" which should fix your Grub boot problem:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

(Download and create a bootable disk!)

To change your keyboard layout:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1699

(Near the bottom of the first part of the guide!)

Is your Wifi switched on and was it working in the Live CD?, Madvinegar can help you there!.

Regards Wolfman :D

beerem

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:36:10 pm

I can boot the Mac OS only from selection of the EFI option. (presumable what bootcamp put in place).
(The bootcamp version was 4.0.4326)

The grub boot menu allows selection of the Zorin build OK but the Mac OS 32 bit and Mac OS 64 bit options in the grub menu don't call up the MacOS. (Only some text info then hangs)

I did a fresh install as I noted the Macintosh option on the keyboard selection so that sorted the keyboard out.

I found that during the EFI boot sequence (pressing the Alt key on power up) allowed me to enter the WiFi SSID which it detected and I connected to,
but when using the LiveCD it fails to keep the WiFi on. Likewise after the installation was successful and trying to login.

Everything else works fine except the WiFi.

I assume that the boot-repair will sort out the grub settings for the Mac OS so will give it a try.

Wolfman

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:48:57 am

Hi,

for the WiFi, right click the network icon > edit > wireless > edit and make sure that it is available to all users and connect automatically.

Make sure you do a full system update by running "DPKG" (network cable required):

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

z8xt

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:08:04 am

Hi beerem
I have a little experience with Zorin on mid 2007 Mac Mini, I did not try installing Zorin did the live boot to see what would happen, but I was able to get the network connected. I did this by making a new connection like Wolfman suggested and added in the SID and password then for some reason after that I was able to see the WiFi hotspots around the area and could find mine and connect. This is un related, I have a bluetooth speaker and was able to connect Zorin to it via bluetooth from the Mac Mini but is caused the speaker to make the worst sound, this did not happen on Windows.

Back to the Boot Manager, here's good boot manager. If you can boot into Zorin you should be able to install it from there, it's probably going to wipe our the BootCamp boot loader and add MacOS and Zorin options in it's own menu..
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
http://www.rodsbooks.com/ubuntu-efi/

Here's the place to download the installers ("A binary Debian package") Zorin is debian based and can use this package.
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html

I was able to use this boot manager on a PC and it worked, although its not going to work on a PC with UEFI partitioning trying to install Zorin OS because Zorin is missing the UEFI folder on the X64 install disk.

Also you should be able to hold down the Option key while booting the Mac and select the Mac disk to boot from and restore the Mac to boot into MacOSX using the Disk Utility in the Application folder under Utilities. You will need to delete the Zorin install and select the MacOSX partition as your startup disk.

Let us know how it turns out.