This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Zorin 7 Core 64-bit RAID help

bg4m3r

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:03:19 pm

I am attempting to install Zorin 7 Core on my system. My drives are configured with two 2 drive RAID 0 arrays and a single drive which is where I send my backups to. I have Win 7 64-bit installed on the first RAID, which is where Zorin will also be going. I have already shrank the partition to make room. I attempted to install and on the partition table screen, it listed out the drive mapping, showing the partitions on each individual drive within the RAIDs. I've never tried to install Linux on a RAID before, so I wasn't sure if this was how it was supposed to be displayed. I went ahead and installed, and it went through GRUB and the startup process fine, but the login screen came up all scrambled. I don't know if this is because of the RAID, but that's the only thing I can think of as I've never had problems dual booting Linux before, or installing Zorin in general. Anyway, some help resolving this would be greatly appreciated. I would like to go to running full Linux, but I need to make sure I can get some software running in Linux first (a couple MMOs, Silverlight, Windows Steam).

Wolfman

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:56:28 am

Hi,

try running "DPKG" per this guide, a network cable is required:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

The quick version, start in recovery mode; select "Network" then "DPKG" and restart when finished with Ctrl + Alt +Del.
Let us know if this helps.

Do you have an Nvidia graphics card?.

Regards Wolfman :D

bg4m3r

Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:58:09 pm

hmm...I don't really have a way to physically connect to the internet...the router is down a hall from the computer. No, I have an ATI/AMD system. I don't much care for Intel/Nvidia. I can post detailed specs if that might help.
EDIT: It just occurred to me that I had a spare wireless router with a repeater mode. Will try and get back to you!

bg4m3r

Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:53:10 pm

Success! dpkg fixed whatever was the problem. I am posting this from Linux. :D Now to get the video drivers installed. >.>

Thanks for the help. Glad it was an easy fix!

Wolfman

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:23:09 am

Hi,

Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Additonal Drivers.

(Install the recommended version only!)

Let us know please.

Have marked as solved for the origninal problem!.

Regards Wolfman :D

bg4m3r

Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:34:50 pm

Thanks for the info on the drivers. I just used apt-get from command line to install and update the video drivers to the correct version of fglrx. Everything's running well. :)

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:50:15 pm

120 blue jewels to Wolfman! :D