This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Newbie lesson the hard way reloading Zorin

dolson80301

Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:40:59 pm

I have updated this in the recent past. I have been experimenting with Zorin as a replacement for XP on all my work computers that will stop getting Microsoft support in April. It was great success up until the new Ubuntu 13.10 update which locked up 2 of my test machines (mid update) that had to be power cycled to get back on to them.

I now have a partial Ubuntu install, and a damaged Zorin install, so the only way in is via the secondary file manager because Zorin has not tool bars/pop-ups other than existing 2x rdp icons. I also have no way to reboot the machine it refuses my su attempts, will not shutdown, init 0, quit or anything other than power cycling. I can not do any updates, I see no way to reload the OS, fix the OS. So, my request is can we put our a simple how to for people like me that are stuck and don't know how climb out of the hole they are in. I will probably reload zorin from scratch and try again but I don't know how to do that with out getting even deeper in trouble. Sorry.... :cry:

Wolfman

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:29:05 am

Hi,

this topic is covered in the update guide:

"Also note that where it states: "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version" is set to "Never". The reason is because if you allow it to update to any version of Ubuntu, you will most likely lose all your current settings and themes as a complete system update this way leads to the newest version of Ubuntu being installed!!.

You can update an Ubuntu system to the next highest level with the following teminal command, but!; and this is a big but, it will update to a full Ubuntu DE and ruin your Zorin installation:"

PLease read the guide through and through, especially the part about "Software Sources":

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

A new install is really all I can suggest as to try and fix what damage you have done is a lot over my head!.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D