This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Software Update removed drivers (I think)

jagarti

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:42:26 pm

A few weeks ago, I got my hands on Zorin 7 core 64bit.
I'm generally a fan of ubuntu, though not extremely experienced.
I had configured my system as I wanted, got my audio and video drivers, wifi and the whole shebang.
Today, I decided to stop ignoring the system updates, I removed all the updates on the list for Thunderbird and let it do it's thing.
When finished, I was prompted to reboot, which I did.
When X loaded up, it told me that my display, input/output and sound devices could not be recognized and I must reconfigure them. I tried my backup settings (which I may not have even had) and it just reopens the prompt. So I tried going with generic but the same thing happens. My laptop's keyboard and mouse are useless, though the USB mouse works. I tried running in failsafeX but I still could not get past the prompts.
I had initially had no problems with Zorin, even the generic drivers were working. My system was greatly improved when I grabbed the drivers from AMD for my chipset, I don't understand why these were removed.

Thankfully, I have Mint installed as well, so here I am.
Can anyone offer a simple fix to this or am I best off just starting fresh?

Wolfman

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:35:42 am

Hi,

try running DPKG per this guide. (Network cable is required):

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

jagarti

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:32:37 am

Thanks for the suggestion but I got nowhere with that. I made sure my package lists were up to date, updated everything, which turned out to only be Thunderbird. I ran dist-upgrade but no changes were made, I tried everything I could but I still was prompted with non-detectable devices. Generic still didn't work. When I tried using the older kernel, it just froze on boot.

I popped in my live USB and that had no problems booting, so I used a 13GB partition that used to have windows to install it, I'm currently installing my chipset's proprietary drivers. There wasn't really much of a loss, since I still have the partition it was originally on.

Thanks again, but I had no luck and am just beginning fresh.

Wolfman

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:56:48 am

Hi,

is this resolved for you now?.

jagarti

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:28:55 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

is this resolved for you now?.

Sorry, Wolfman, dpkg did not work. According to the servers, everything was up-to-date and functional but I was still in the same place.
I should clarify that my keyboard and mouse did work, just that it was hard to locate the cursor, or perhaps it took a minute to become active.

Regardless, my AMD chipset still didn't work. I could've tried to dig around until I found the driver pack, which I think would've done the trick but I couldn't remember where I had placed it. I know now that I've freshly installed on a smaller partition. In fact, I will reboot to the old partition now and try running it to see if it can be resolved.

[EDIT/update]

I'm currently using my install that I lost graphic and audio functionality on, and after running AMD's package from the console and rebooting, I have the functionality back.

Since the problem itself wasn't directly solved, I'm hesitant to mark the thread as solved. The update still did remove my drivers, or at least the link to them, and generic wouldn't let me past the prompt telling me that it was not configured. As mentioned, no matter what option I chose, it would just loop the prompt. My current install is working fine, but that's because I already had a package of proprietary drivers on my HDD.

I'm willing to "software update" the newer install of Zorin, in hopes to cause the same error if it can help the community address this issue.

Wolfman

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:34:13 am

Hi,

if you are willing to take a risk, run the following terminal command which will force an update as it might be a case of missing dependencies:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Make sure you restart after running the above command!.

jagarti

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:31:40 am

if you are willing to take a risk, run the following terminal command which will force an update as it might be a case of missing dependencies:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Make sure you restart after running the above command!.

Thanks, but I had already done so, with no luck. As mentioned, I used the live USB I had to install to another unused partition, I had used dpkg and apt to make sure it was all up to date, even forced it, but as I said it was a software update in the GUI that caused the issue in the first place. It's safe to say that I won't be updating at all.

Wolfman

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:14:59 am

Hi,

start in recovery mode and navigate to "root" (drop to root shell) and type the following command:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del and see if you still have problems.

You can also run DPKG from the recovery menu AFTER activating the "Network" connection which requires a network cable.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

jagarti

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:50:52 pm

start in recovery mode and navigate to "root" (drop to root shell) and type the following command:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del and see if you still have problems.

You can also run DPKG from the recovery menu AFTER activating the "Network" connection which requires a network cable.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Hahaha, yes, you've already directed me there and I have followed the instructions there, they did not yield any change. I was network enabled, had my ethernet cord in and I watched as the repositories were contacted. As I have mentioned twice now, I already have replaced my drivers but that didn't explain why updating removed the functionality in the first place.

I offered before and will now try to recreate the issue in hopes of getting this solved for anyone else who runs into it.