This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Is there a zorrin torrent download?

Jaime

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:03:40 am

Hi guys. Well I have been having a heck of a time with my computer and I have even changed the motherboard, hd and memory thinking that maybe that had something to do with my system crapping out. Needless to say I downloaded a bunch of other distros but kept having similar problems with installs, so I'm guessing my media or the OS were doing something funky. I use tdk media, so not just whatever is cheap. I installed zorin 7 but it keeps freezing every now and then, so there's definitely something weird going on with the latest versions of linux I think. I usually won't blame the os as I rarely have any problems with them. So I want to download again, but just realized there is no torrent for zorin downloads. I'll burn the 6 version I have again, but I'll make sure to burn slower just to be sure. I'll also change the updates to never now that I know. Zorin 7 requires to many changes for my liking so I'll put back the LTS version and stick with that. I am also running Opensuse on my other nano computer to test ou since they came out with a new versiont, but there's nothing about stable on that thing either. I can't even get the display right so I'm about to give up on that one. I was trying to get away from ubuntu, but I guess I'm stuck with it for now. I spent the last two days changing and re-installing os's and I'm pretty beat now. So I guess I just wanted to ask if we could get the torrent options for the zorin downloads so I can just throw it on the nas client and not worry about it not downloading. The only thing I really like about ubuntu are the small disc downloads and I even downloaded those since I know the torrents are usually complete. Heck I don't even need a torrent for the ubuntu downloads. I even checked the md5's and they were fine and I still have problems with any of them installing without freezing on me. I'm getting to the point where I may just install windows 7 on one of those other machines as this is what I'm using on my laptop and has been working great and very stable. I just want something that works, but the latest distros are just not working no matter what I do. Sorry to vent, it's been a heck two days trying to just get anything to work on my main desktop computer.

Jaime

Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:58:44 am

Okay I'm a happy camper. I got zorin 6 64bit now on Intel chip installed. I hope the amd 64 is correct also for just 64 bit. If not I just screw this up again. I had to do the update twice to get the sources window. I changed that to never but there are a bunch of updates there...what's the word, should I not do any updates at all now? Now I am debating on what to put on my other tiny computer with suse...they claim stability and all this mumbo jumbo and the darm thing takes a while just to boot with that os. I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin, but can't really use it as is. Thanks.

Wolfman

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:32:51 am

Hi Jaime,

yes!; you should do the updates, read through the update guide for more info:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

Jaime

Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:27:25 am

I get a few minor quirks so I'll go ahead and do them. It doesn't freeze so I'm very happy and don't mind using it as is, so thank you. Well, I think i just screw that up, I just went ahead and installed from the update manager gui and I can't remember if my folders were already orange.

Just wanted to update this. The orange folders came from my nas bookmarks and they were that color before I made any updates. In any case, I still followed the instructions which seem a bit different since my os still said zorin instead of ubuntu so I think it's fine. Everything is still working fine.

Also, any word on starting a torrent download. Anyway, it's just a suggestion for when you guys have time as I think this will be extremely helpful when downloading since not everyone has a fast internet line.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:50:00 am

Hi Jaime,

there are torrents out there, I do not trust torrents myself as anyone can add a script to their ISO copy and put it on the net, a quick surefire way of infecting a Linux PC!.

If you want a fast download, go here:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 7533.shtml

Jaime

Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:11:12 pm

That's interesting, but normally I would get the torrent file from your server or the main site I need the software from and not just anywhere. I understand what you mean, I don't usually use torrents, but for these larger OS files I think they work great. I also do the checksum even though that may not really mean much and as you mentioned anything can be changed, but I have started checking them anyway. If that's not possible can the there be a small install cd and just add the rest of zorin from the web. I know this is asking a lot, but transferring huge files has always been a pain in the back as you know. For example if I'm working on someone's computer in another country and I need to download something from their computer with a slow connection that really puts a damper on things, if I don't get disconnected due to the a file being so large. Of course now I can transfer the file from my remote software, but I'm still transferring a very huge file so no matter how it's done I'm still in the same boat as you can see. I guess I don't really have a problem with what's in the files, just how large they are in order to transfer it or have someone there downloaded it.

This is the other example, I told a family member about the ubuntu download sometime back, and he couldn't download it because the internet connections there are very, very slow. The infrastructure is just not there as it is on most developed countries. I was there on a visit like two years ago and it was like stepping back in time in terms of technology and well everything else. Most of us don't think about it any more as it's not the case where we live, but even now there are many places that are just starting to learn about the internet. Well, at least in the city I was at, things were extremely slow.
I also have a family member that lives in a rural area here in the states and they only have two choices for internet, dsl which is very slow there and satellite which is very expensive and slow. I tried both everytime I visited. I like dsl, but dsl in the city is much better than dsl in the rural area because it's like a monopoly and you don't get many of any options there. So in short I had to struggle getting the software to get their stuff working on different occasions so this is why I look for other ways to get the downloads a bit smaller.

Wolfman wrote:Hi Jaime,

there are torrents out there, I do not trust torrents myself as anyone can add a script to their ISO copy and put it on the net, a quick surefire way of infecting a Linux PC!.

If you want a fast download, go here:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 7533.shtml

Auldyin

Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:43:36 pm

Hi

If you want to risk a torrent search on here -------- http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrents .

Cheers Auldyin

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Jaime

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:57:44 am

Haha...no I don't need risk anything from random sites, but just wondering if they could do it from the main site and that it could be very helpful I guess, that was all, but if it's that big of a risk to do that well I don't know. Even the ubuntu downloads can be tricky to download when you have a new one so I used their torrents to help with that. Not trying to be a pain here or anything just wondering about that. :) I don't mind using the ubuntu torrents if I'm ever short in time and don't have access to much in terms of files or speed. :mrgreen: My current zorin is working fine too. It's all good. Now you guys got me curious about all that. I need to look into torrents and security a bit more.

Wolfman

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:34:35 am

Hi Jaime,

I get where you are coming from, I have a flatrate DSL connection which could be faster but is acceptable.

Using torrents can be fatal, this is not to say that every file you download will contain malicious scripts or whatever!. see this about safer torrent downloading:

http://www.wikihow.com/Safely-Download-Torrents

Zorin does offer a torrent but whether or not you have a slow connection, the torrent download can also be verrrrrrrry sloooooow due to the number of people downloading/uploading that particular torrent file!.

Not using torrents is just a personal preference for me!.

Regards Woflman :D

Auldyin

Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:26:46 am

Hi

I use torrents all the time but I am very wary of downloading anything that is from an unofficial or unknown location.
Just out of curiosity I used a torrent from http://linuxtracker.org/ to download Zorin 7.1 core 32 and checked the md5sum against the sum given on the Zorin site and they match exactly. So their is good stuff out there in the
World WILD Web
but take care.

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D