This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Flash Update??

AlliedForces

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:30:49 am

Hello, I am trying to play Amazon Instant Movies and it keeps telling me to update flash.

Can someone please get an update to flash for this OS??

It will be appreciated!

Wolfman

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:45:43 am

Hi AF,

try using Google Chrome or Chromium browsers, there is no new update for Linux as Adobe are only supplying security updates and not the main app!.

Or you can use Gnash:

http://gnashdev.org/?q=node/11

It's in the repo's!.

See #2 here also:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771662

Regards Wolfman :D

AlliedForces

Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:28:54 am

I did try Chrome... it looks like it will play and then doesn't. It just stays black.

EDIT: just tried installing Gnash and cleared cache in FF and reloaded the browser. Same thing. It asks for flash to be updated.

I even installed HAL.

Flash Aid has been removed by its author. No longer available.

Wolfman

Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:48:38 am

Hi AF,

did you open > FireFox < Edit > Preferences > Applications > Flash > Use Other > File System (Or Computer) > Usr > Bin and select Gnash?.

I tried removing Flash and installing both Gnash and Lightspark but neither worked for me!.

Did you try playing something despite the "Update Flash" message?.

Sorry but I don't have any more options for you!. :(

Let us know what happens.

madvinegar

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:05:55 pm

The flash player for linux firefox will stay at version 11.2. It will not get any updates.
Google Chrome uses their own flash player called "pepper-flash". This pepper-flash keeps in line with the adobe flash updates.
So you must use google chrome if you need the latest flash updates.

There is one posibility that the adobe flash is conflicting with the pepper-flash in chrome. To correct this, open google chrome and in the address line write:

chrome:config

and press enter.
Press the cross sign at the right to expand the options and navigate to where it says flash player. You will see two entries. Disable the one that does NOT say pepper-flash. Close and re-open google chrome for changes to take effect.

AlliedForces

Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:54:04 pm

Nothing has helped here.

Prompts me that this webpage is not available.

The evil elitists are always taking stabs at Linux... too bad for them... Linux as a whole always seems to find its way through the ultimate TRASH that seems to plague this world!

We need to get sites to start using HTML 5. I have suggested this to Amazon several times in the past 2 days now, each time I speak with a different agent.

AlliedForces

Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:21:23 pm

Well, just to let you know... I downloaded a copy of KWheezy and ran the live edition and went to Amazon and it PLAYS!
So I wonder what is different since Zorin is suppose to have the latest updates before they discontinued flash for Linux?

EDIT: i just saw in firefox/applications that KWheezy is using the VLC firefox plug-in.

Auldyin

Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:43:58 pm

Hi
Prompts me that this webpage is not available.

Should be :mrgreen: about:plugins :mrgreen:

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

AlliedForces

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:05:03 pm

Ok I disabled the non-pepper flash and no difference. No play.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:03:10 am

Hi AF,

go here: http://edition.cnn.com/ and try playing something with flash, expand the screen to full screen and right click the screen and then select "Settings", then disable "Accelerated hardware" should it be active and see if that helps.

AlliedForces

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:14:19 pm

Wolfman, nada... doing that did not change a thing.

It is really strange how I can play flash on any other site and I can even play some of the movie previews
on Amazon, but NO movies will play in Zorin. Even stranger is that they Do play while booted up on the
KWheezy live dvd. What is the programmer doing with KWheezy that Zorin programmers don't know?

EDIT: Also just downloaded and ran the live dvd of Ultimate Edition 3.7 and it too allows me to view the
Amazon movies right out of the box.

Wolfman

Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:00:38 am

Hi AF,

it might be related to a codec or something like that, check Synaptic and see if you have the following codecs installed:

libavcode-extra-53

libxine2-all-plugins

libxine1-all-plugins

Also open > FireFox < Edit > Preferences > Applications > Flash > Use Other > File System (Or Computer) > Usr > Bin and select "Default".

AlliedForces

Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:14:18 pm

Again, this did not work.

By the way... under applications, it does not say just flash... it says Shockwave Flash. Just to make sure and there are two listings.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:49:45 am

Hi AF,

shockwave Flash is part of the Gnash package!, make sure you have the package "flashplugin-installer" installed!, also remove the package "gnash"should it be installed.

You can check them both using Synaptic package manager.

Then again open > FireFox < Edit > Preferences > Applications > Flash Video > "Default". (It might say VLC plugin!)

AlliedForces

Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:02:53 pm

NADA.

Wolfman

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:59:46 am

Hi AF,

the only thing further I can suggest is to run the following command but don't hold your breath!:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

This may or may not solve the problem, other than that I have no more suggestions for you apart from trying other browsers to see if it will work. Why it isn't working for you is a mystery?.

Wolfman

Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:58:02 am

Hi AF,

have you tried completely removing Firefox including the .mozilla folder in home?

Open a terminal and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove firefox

Then open your home folder and press Ctrl + h which will show hidden files, right click and delete the .mozilla file, then restart and reinstall firefox with:

Code:
sudo apt-get install firefox

Let us know if this helps.

Hynesite

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:48:52 pm

OMG I just installed an OS that claims to work like Windows but won't even let me view YouTube. In 15 years of using Windows it never once asked me to go into a command window and enter sudo dpkg --configure -a whatever that means. Has anyone mentioned your living in the 21ST century?

Anonymous

Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:48:12 pm

Hynesite wrote:OMG I just installed an OS that claims to work like Windows but won't even let me view YouTube. In 15 years of using Windows it never once asked me to go into a command window and enter sudo dpkg --configure -a whatever that means. Has anyone mentioned your living in the 21ST century?

Firefox > Flash Player will turn on you whether your using Zorin OS or Windows.
Firefox is the main culprit behind alot of the problems people seem to be having relative to streaming videos from any of those sights.
The Mozilla Devs went into a slump a couple of times in the last year or so.
I don't complain nor worry, because I know evrything has it's bad day.
Including apllications !!!! :lol: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Hynesite

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:03:13 pm

OK, why then can I view YouTube in Windows XP SP3 using Firefox, Chrome or IE 8 but not in Zorin OS 6 Lite. I'd go with; providing the very latest versions of Firefox and Chrome, which in turn contain the very latest version of Shockwave Flash plugin, in a version of Zorin which we are told is for older machines and hardware. Any money this will come down to the new Adobe plugin not being backward compatible with single processor architecture like my AMD 1900+ XP chip as apposed to the dual processor like the Pentium D which is now standard fair. It's the sort of thing Zorin, as a supplier of Operating Systems, shouldn't need to be told about.

Anonymous

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:38:58 pm

Should have known you were using Xp. :roll: :roll:

Andrew

Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:14:18 pm

Has anyone found if gnash works as a reliable replacement to flash in FF....if so, would I put gnash in then take flash out?

Thank you all

Andrew

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:18:07 pm

If you are running Zorin 8 I have not had issues with Firefox - Opera seems intermittent - and no, before you ask, I don't use ANY Google products - period! :D

Wolfman

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:48:48 am

Hi Andrew,

Gnash didn't work for me, I would stick with Flash for now until they make it (Gnash) better!.

Andrew

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:30:55 am

Thanks Wolfman....appreciate it.

discipulus

Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:51:41 pm

I just installed Zorin-OS-Lite 9 - first time with Zorin and a real UNIX newbie and can report that Amazon Prime Instant Video doesn't work with Zorin either. Lots of discussion in this thread about Flash but surely Silverlight is what's needed, or perhaps I'm missing something. I get a message "Your computer is unable to play this video. Amazon Instant Video uses Microsoft Silverlight to play videos on your computer. Silverlight is only supported on Windows and Mac computers."

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

thanks in advance. :)

discipulus

Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:20:17 am

Oddly, I just received a message that my request for assistance was "disapproved by a moderator or administrator. The following reason was given for the disapproval: The message contains links to illegal or pirated software."

discipulus

Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:24:26 am

discipulus wrote:I just installed Zorin-OS-Lite 9 - first time with Zorin and a real UNIX newbie and can report that Amazon Prime Instant Video doesn't work with Zorin either. Lots of discussion in this thread about Flash but surely Silverlight is what's needed, or perhaps I'm missing something. I get a message "Your computer is unable to play this video. Amazon Instant Video uses Microsoft Silverlight to play videos on your computer. Silverlight is only supported on Windows and Mac computers.")

Further to this, I received the following message from Amazon: Hello, I'm sorry to hear about the error you experienced with our Prime Instant Video service on Linux. Please be informed that, currently Prime Instant Video doesn't support on Linux operating system. Although I know that my words are not enough to appease your disappointment, I do hope that I have been of help somehow. Once again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. I hope that you will allow us to serve you better in the future. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Warmest regards"

I assume it's the same with Netflix?

discipulus.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:41:52 pm

I will get back to you on Netflix as only recently started subscribing - with regards to silverlight mentioned by previous poster, this became 'pipelight' but thought that both of these projects now ended? I thought Flash was needed for Netflix (and for me I will be testing using Opera 12.16 but let Netflix believe that it is being accessed as Internet Explorer! ;)

discipulus

Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:19:40 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I will get back to you on Netflix as only recently started subscribing

Looking forward to your update! I suspect that a fix for one will work for the other!

Discipulus

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:46:55 pm

Well thought I was getting somewhere - Masquerade as Internet Explorer baulked when Netflix reported ActiveX was not running - so the solution? right here:

http://itsfoss.com/netflix-ubuntu-1404-desktop-app/

Proof of the pudding:

(Will post image - the install defaulted to Firefox Browser - what is interesting is that the install puts Firefox 22 on the system!)

OK, only got this to work once in Cairo-Desktop - disaster! GnoMenu stopped working and Sound and Video Menu in Zorin Menu showed as Blank after netflix-desktop installed - do so at your own risk!

Looks like a fresh install of Zorin for me! :o :shock:

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:45:33 am

OK, having unchecked netflix-desktop in Menu, logged out of Zorin DE after attempting to reinstall GnoMenu, back in Cairo-Dock DE GnoMenu now working properly. Tried installing Firefox for Windows in Wine - still no joy - finally working in Midori Web Browser:

35.jpg