This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Problems running Hash Checker in Zorin OS 7 Core

Jonathan_Livingston

Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:18:14 pm

Hi

I purchased premium versions of Zorin OS via download, in E-Mail I was said to check md5sum with Hash Checker. After extraction of Hash Checker archive I could not run setup, it opens automatically in text editor. How to run the setup?

Thank you

JL

Wolfman

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:19:40 am

Hi JL,

have you extracted the ISO file?, you need to do that first and then run MD5 and it should just open!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Jonathan_Livingston

Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57:17 am

Thank you Wolfman, maybe I should have described the problem more in detail as I am not sure if we understood each other, I am using Zorin 7 OS Core, I was amazed by it, so I purchased Premium version, in intruction it is said to download archive containing this Premium version, but before extracting and burning it to disc one should check the md5sum with Hash Checker. When I watched video tutorial on Hash Checker website, they extracted Hash Checker archive and run the Hash Checker Setup, it should look like this, but I don´t get this window in Zorin OS, it just opens the setup file of Hash Checker in gedit.

Thank you

Wolfman

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:54:11 am

Hi JL,

did you click on "Run in terminal"?.

I see you are using Ubuntu, take a look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Personaly I never bother with a check, I just burn the ISO to disk/USB stick but this is my personal preference!. (Yes Swarf I know!).

If burning to a disk, follow this advice:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Regards Wolfman :D

Jonathan_Livingston

Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:10:12 pm

Hi Wolfman

I don´t get possibility to click on "run in terminal". I don´t get a window with such a possibility. That´s the problem. The setup file opens in gedit when i doubleclick on it. The print screen comes from Tutorial, they use Ubuntu, I am using Zorin OS 7 Core.

Thanks for advice, I will try out

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:57:36 pm

Hi, you should not need hash checker unless Zorin has started using RSA instead of md5sum!

In Windows you can check the md5sum by usin md5free from www.winmd5.com

What I have noticed is that the md5sum is for the compressed zip file - not the extracted file!

OK, so open a terminal and change directory to where your downloaded .7zip file is:

Code:
cd Downloads

then

Code:
md5sum *Zorin32Ultimate*.7zip
**whatever the name of the file is enter it EXACTLY as it is here.

Wait about 30 seconds for the result.

Jonathan_Livingston

Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:58:00 pm

Hi Swarfendor437

thanks, it worked very well. :)

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:47:27 pm

Glad you are sorted friend! :D (Pays self 60 blue diamonds! :mrgreen: )