This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Speed up Zorin 7

WestSwan

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:19:43 am

Hello,

My first foray into Linux.

I first tried the lite version, but it didn't really appeal to me. Not sure why.

So I have now successfully installed the Zorin 7.1 Core 32Bit operating sytem onto my old 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 HP Pavilion which has 384Mb of ram.

It is running ok speed wise but I thought like Windows there might be a way to 'adjust for best performance' or turn off some of the fancy effects so as to use less ram and cpu?

I couldn't find anything in the forum but that doesn't mean a lot these days - unfortunately early stages of Alzheimers - I could have just missed it.

Something simple to do for a newbie like me would be appreciated.

And without causing arguments with anyone is it still the current practice not to have an antivirus on linux? A firewall not necessary?

Regards,

paul

Wolfman

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:12:03 am

Hi Paul,

you can mess around with Compiz to reduce wear and tear on your system, this might give you some more speed but it won't help much, really you should install another strip of RAM to speed things up a little.

The firewall is started by default and an Anti Virus is really only necessary if you are moving files to Windows or Mac for that just-in-case scenario.

Regards Wolfman :D

WestSwan

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:39:32 am

Hello Wolfman,

Thank you for that.

My Grandson says he has a spare 256Mb stick of ram I can use.

So by swapping it with the 128Mb stick it will give me 512Mb total.

I am hoping this will make my old computer snappier :-)

Regards,

Paul

Wolfman

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:21:10 am

Hi Paul,

is this resolved now?.

Regards Wolfman :D