This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] New network card added and feels a bit slower

Jaime

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:12:36 am

Hi. I just installed a new TP-Link Model :TG-3468 to my old motherboard as it does not have gigabit. Although it got picked up it feels a bit slower than my built in non gigabit card. For example just scrolling down on pages seems to be slower and not as quick as before. Any ideas on this. The other thing is shutter, it keeps updating something every time I restart the computer and open it up.

This is the nic I bought today. Even though it came with a low profile bracket it was still to long for my case so I had to bend it back inside to make it work, but it is seated fine. I'm also using cat 6 cable from it to the router which is on a shelf above the monitor. I'm using gigabit on my internal network as the old nic was slow at copying.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TG-3468-1 ... nk+tg-3468

I'm also attaching a test download from your zorin 7 64 bit. It started with 8 hours to download the dvd...so this is not something I will be sitting through, but thought I show you this. It seems my connection is maxed out at 49MB and 8 hours. By the way I am downloading this from the first US site.

The second link ftp seems to be better with one hour, but the speed is going slower.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:24:12 am

Hi Jaime,

did you do a full system update after adding the new piece of hardware?.

The ISO download can be slow if there is heavy traffic, the best option there is to pick a different download server which should speed up the download.

Do the updates and get back to us about the network thingy.

Regards Wolfman :D

Jaime

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:29:05 am

Thanks wolfman. I believe I did it before. I understand about the different speeds, I'm just testing the nic so no biggie there.

Wolfman wrote:Hi Jaime,

did you do a full system update after adding the new piece of hardware?.

The ISO download can be slow if there is heavy traffic, the best option there is to pick a different download server which should speed up the download.

Do the updates and get back to us about the network thingy.

Jaime

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:51:34 am

Thanks Wolfman...I did the following and it looks like that helped. I can now scroll down on youtube, it was stop and go before. It seems better now. I'll test it more tomorrow during the day since at night things can sometimes slow down with my isp. I hope I did this correctly. Youtube is a better way to test with a video playing as it really was stopping there. If not I apologize, I keep getting a bit confused by the update a bit still.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Since we are on the subject, do you always need to do this every time you change a component in linux? I'm just curious since this is the first time I change/add something to my linux box.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:57:55 am

Hi Jaime,

you should always do a full update as new hardware would have an effect and/or affect the kernel settings!.

Jaime

Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:15:16 am

Thank you for clarifying that. I'll keep that in mind.

Wolfman wrote:Hi Jaime,

you should always do a full update as new hardware would have an effect and/or affect the kernel settings!.