This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Black screen with white arrow

WestSwan

Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:26:42 am

Following my success yesterday - - - I just tried to install Zorin OS 7 Core on another old pavilion desktop I have.

It is an HP Pavilion t550a desktop which is 2.8Ghz and 1Gb stick of ram. All the hardware is tested as working fine.

Since I don't have a blank dvd I installed using a usb stick.

It all went well and at the end of the installation, it asked me to restart the computer. I waited for a minute or so, removed the usb stick and hit enter to restart the computer.

All looks good. I get the choice to load zorin, test the memory etc etc.

I then wait while it is loading and all looks good.

However, after a minute or so it goes to a black screen with just a white arrow icon on it. If I move the mouse the arrow moves just fine but I can't do anything else except push the start button to turn off the computer..

If I try safe graphics mode, it gets to a point where it says that my card, mouse, keyboard could not be automatically configured and I need to do it manually. But at that point the mouse and keyboard aren't working so I can't click 'ok'

Have I done something wrong. Zorin lite installs and runs ok.

The iso file of Zorin OS 7 core has the correct checksum value.

Regards,

Paul

Wolfman

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:40:06 am

Hi Paul,

boot into recovery mode and run "DPKG" per this guide, a NETWORK CABLE IS REQUIRED!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

WestSwan

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:28:43 am

Hi Wolfman,

I still had the same problem so what I did was install the Long Term Support Version 6 instead.

Working great :-)

Regards,

Paul

Wolfman

Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:54:58 am

Hi Paul,

glad its working, I will mark this as solved.

Regards Wolfman :D