This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Black screen with white mouse arrow after install

jpernas

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:48:41 am

Hi.
I installed the Zorin 7.1 Core 32bits in my netbook and the installation was successful, and i'm enjoying it very much.
I said to a friend that Zorin is the thing he is looking for to use in an old machine (P4, 2GB RAM, 40GB HDD, GeForce4 MX44), but when the instalation finished and the machine restarts, it apears the white screen with the blue Z logo, and then the screen changes to black with the white mouse arrow. After press Ctrl+Alt+Del the login screen appears asking the password. I put the password, and the black screen appears again.
After remove the Geforce4 and start with the onboard VGA, the desktop image apears with the desktop icons, but in top of the taskbar it stays an black bar that hides some of the Z menu.
Im a new linux user and i need some help to solve this with the Geforce4.
Thanks.

Wolfman

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:43:44 am

Hi,

start your PC in recovery mode and select "Network" and then activate it then drop to "root" and type the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del and see how it runs.

A NETWORK CABLE IS REQUIRED FOR THE ABOVE TO WORK!.

YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK FOR UPDATES AND SEE IF EVERYTHING IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Regards Wolfman :D

jpernas

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:48:47 pm

Wolfman
It solved the problem!! Thanks.

Another thing, i installed the Zorin 7.1 Core 32bits but it's a little bit slow, in youtube i have slow videos, can i reduce something to make it faster?

My system is:
P4 2,4Ghz
2GB RAM
40GB HDD
NV17 VGA (Geforce4 MX420 64MB)

Maybe VGA is the problem??

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:53:33 pm

You could turn off all effects by disabling 'Animations' etc., in 'Compiz' if you are not bothered about 'the cube' effects etc. Are you using the GNU/Linux graphics driver or an nVidia one?

Wolfman

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:09:48 am

jpernas wrote:Wolfman
It solved the problem!! Thanks.

Another thing, i installed the Zorin 7.1 Core 32bits but it's a little bit slow, in youtube i have slow videos, can i reduce something to make it faster?

My system is:
P4 2,4Ghz
2GB RAM
40GB HDD
NV17 VGA (Geforce4 MX420 64MB)

Maybe VGA is the problem??

Thanks

Hi,

I would say that that has something to do with the network connection and/or Flashplayer, start a Flash vid then right click the screen and select "Global Settings" > "Global Storage Settings Panel" and make sure the slider is all the way over to the right!. The other option is to start a Flash vid in full screen and right click and take out the tick from the box "Enable Hardware Acceleration".

jpernas

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:15:55 am

Wolfman,

I have doing some research and i installed the nvidia drivers from the x swat with:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Now the youtube videos are normal and when we put the mouse over the menu, the names are highlighted, and they are now also fast. Now the problem is an black bar in the top of the zorin bar that hides all the things that we open (see the printcreen bellow)

Zorin.png

Do you now what is the problem?

Thanks,

JPernas

Wolfman

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:12:29 am

Hi,

I am not really sure, it may be something to do with Compiz, check out the tip about changing the focus animation in the Nvidia thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

It may also be something to do with the screen resolution, open System Settings > Hardware > Screen display and check your resolution settings.

How is the desktop picture setting set, it should be on "Zoom".