This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Download information

mettin

Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:52:13 pm

Message: hello, I do wish to download Zorin, but i have a few questions i would like answered first,
1) Will Zorin allow me to download the software i am usually able to download by using Windows, i am currently using Windows XP & want to upgrade to a better operating system quite soon, I Want to know if i still will be able to download the software & products from places like Softonic.com & download.com & apply it to Zorin's OS?
2) I currently use Kaspersky as my primary Internet security, will i still be able to use there internet security as my main form of internet security & to be able to download their new yearly software suites by using the Zorin Operating system?
3) I am a fan of using the Opera Internet browser, is Zorin's OS bound to just 1 Internet browser or can i still download other form of Internet browser's like Google Chrome, Chromium, Mozilla Firefox, Comodo, etc etc?
4) My PC that i am using is 32 bit, is there any restrictions at all on what i can have placed on the Zorin Operating system?

Please understand my concerns as i am a virtual Novice in the world of Linux & would like to use one of the Linux's operating systems as my daily PC usage, I have had a good look at other Linux operating systems - Mint, Open suse, etc, But i like the usability of Zorin. Please can you answer these questions above for me & could you please give me some advice / tips & recommendations when it comes to choosing an Linux OS which is best for me, as i have explained that i am very new to the world of Linux & would like an OS that would suite my needs & have all the answers above applied to it.

Yours Sincerley

Mettin mehmed

Wolfman

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:07:33 am

Hi,

you can use certain Windows applications on Linux using Wine, this only applies to certain software as not everything can be run under Linux:

See the supported catagories list here:

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/supported_apps.html

You don't really need to use an AntiVirus app under Linux unless you are transfering files to Windows or MAC PC's.

Zorin 6 32 Bit would suit your needs as it is similar to Windows!.

You can download any suitable 3rd party apps for Linux and install them, there are no restrictions on what you install as long as it is a suitable "deb" package for Linux.

For Opera:

http://www.opera.com/computer/linux

You can post any more questions you have on this forum.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:51:35 pm

I would avoid Softonic - I am suspicious of their site and hidden add-ons/requirements - stick to:

Softpedia, Major Geeks, Filehippo - you know you aren't downloading garbage or potential spyware (like CNET does!)

Also check out:

http://winehq.org for applications that are compatible with WINE.