This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

win7 ZorinCore dual boot

thejonno

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:35:10 am

I've spent about an hour on Google, and made it to about the 5th page into the forums (even tried "searching", but was rejected as Windows, 7, Dual and Boot are too common). I'm having an issue installing Zorin on my laptop. Or rather, I'm having issues booting into Zorin after install. I have 2 physical 300GB Hitachi drives, and drive 0 has Win7 and recovery partitions and drive 1 is now Zorin. Windows boot was never affected, and I never saw any options to change the boot. After a while, I tried EasyBCD, but the Grub2 supplied on that boot menu is "minimal command line" and doesn't really boot. This ringing any bells with any of you guys 'n gals? I know what Sudo is, but Grub is confusing me.

Wolfman

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:36:57 am

Hi,

try downloading a copy of "Boot Repair":

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Make sure that you place the Grub Menu on "sda1", very important!.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

thejonno

Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:59:51 am

Wiped laptop from head to toe.. Had a spare 7 Pro key with fresh install. Still having the issue. 2 physical hard drives (yes, I can send a picture of the 2, as well as the BIOS showing the "twin" drives but not in RAID0. But still having issues installing 7 and Zorin. I install Zorin and 7, it overrides 7. I install 7 and Zorin, then 7 boots without a trace of Zorin. I've even tried to force it onto the Windows BCD.. No charms yet. Please help?

thejonno

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:19:41 am

Even now, fresh Win7 install, I have a 'grub-install/dev/sda' - failed..After a fresh Win install and fresh Zorin ISO grab..

Wolfman

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:22:31 am

Hi,

you must install Windows before Linux on a hard drive, then you must select where the bootloader will be put which is the first hard drive normally labelled "sda1", take a look at the partitioning guide which might help you, I have never worked with Raid so I cannot help you there sorry:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

thejonno

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:36:07 am

It does list list "sda1", BUT, "sda0" is first...

thejonno

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:37:54 am

also, I found out that RAID does not work on the model I have..

Wolfman

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:51:06 am

Hi,

sorry; that should be "sda" : http://askubuntu.com/questions/219514/w ... condary-os

You should be able to switch off RAID in BIOS I would think!.