This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Solved] Firefox looks like it's 3D and hard to read

Jaime

Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:12:42 am

I'm haveing this problem with everything showing up like it's 3D and also these one update still shows up along with that other shutter window. Any idea why the browser looks like this? I feel like I'm going blind. Even zooming in still shows things weird. Lowering the resolution still looks as bad, but worst since I can't see the whole screen. The shutter window is the updting window for it.

Wolfman

Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:42:45 am

Hi Jaime,

do you have an Nvidia card?. (I think we touched on this before?)

If you do, make sure that you only install the "nvidia-current" package and not any other, I have Nvidia myself and have found it to be the best one, I did rewrite the Nvidia guide suggesting only using the recommended drivers":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490

Restart and run an update if you do install the drivers!!!!!!.

You can also try forcing an update and then restarting to see if it fixes the problem with the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Jaime

Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:15:52 am

Thanks Wolf. I don't know what this one has since I changed the motherboard. I'll go ahead and check those drivers and try that update again. It looks like this board does us an nvidia card.
linux@mitx:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a2)
00:01.0 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:01.1 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:01.2 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:01.3 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:01.4 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:01.5 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:01.6 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:02.0 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
00:03.0 ISA bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:03.1 SMBus: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 SMBus (rev a1)
00:03.2 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:03.3 Co-processor: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 Co-processor (rev a2)
00:03.4 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:04.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 7100/nForce 630i USB (rev a1)
00:04.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 [nForce 630i] USB 2.0 Controller (EHCI) (rev a1)
00:08.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 IDE (rev a1)
00:09.0 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
00:0a.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
00:0e.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 IDE (rev a2)
00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP73 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C73 [GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i] (rev a2)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
linux@mitx:~$

Jaime

Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:20:25 am

It looks like it's using nvidia common...so I'll go ahead and change that.

Jaime

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:13:46 am

I installed the current with dev at the end and nothing...so I uninstalled the nvidia drivers that were on and turn off the computer and restarted. I then added just the current nvidia, but that is dependent on 308 I think it is so I installed that too, but my screen still looks weird. So I'm not sure what is going on. I did do the auto update and upgrade, but still nothing changes.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:48:39 am

Hi Jaime,

if you installed a new motherboard but kept the same OS, that is most likely what is causing your problem, try forcing a complete update with this command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

If that doesn't work, start in recovery mode and then go to "root" and enter this command:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Then restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del.

As per the Nvidia guide, I ercommend only using the "nvidia-current" package as I have found this to be the best and most stable on my Nvidia PC:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490&p=10789#p10789

Let us know if it helps.

Jaime

Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:47:01 pm

Well, I tried all of the above and nothing. I also tried all of the settings in that recovery to see if anything would help. Still no go so the screen still looks weird. One thing I have noticed I have been getting is this buffer IO error on device zram block .....I don't think this has anything to do with it but I though I checked. I can't do anything there so I have left that alone. FYI, this was a new install on the swapped motherboard. I usually do a new install just to make sure I don't run into anything. I have been thinking about doing some vm's so make the install process faster by just imaging those into my hardware. I'll just do some virtualbox then figure out how to get it into a usb stick to make my life easier. Anyway that's something else that I want to try.

Jaime

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:33:52 pm

Well I feel a bit dumb...although there's still a very small noticeable ghosting on my monitor I went ahead and cleaned it and also tweaked the settings for graphics. These two helped sharpen things a bit more on my monitor. So I think I can live wit it now. Dust really piles up on the monitors. I also decided to install linuxmint on my other nano computer just to test and sure enough I got the ghosting there too. All of these computers seem to use nvidia drivers. After using the tool to change the drivers on the nano the resolution was better and the updates helped too, but that still a bit slower than I would like as far as the os. Either way I got both going for now I think. Unfortunately I really love my classic gnome and can't get used to their menus. It's just not the same. :)

Wolfman

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:07:22 am

Hi Jaime,

are you using Zorin 6 or 7?.

Zorin 8 should be coming out soon so maybe you can wait a little while and upgrade your system to that, you can keep all your data if you use the "Something else" method to install it when it comes out:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Apart from cleaning out all the Nvidia drivers and re-installing them; I cannot think of anything else to help you now!.

Let us know what you think.

Jaime

Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:23:41 am

Thanks Wolf. Not a problem I'm not in any hurry so I can wait and I can live with it for now, but I want to make sure I have my desktop working as I really need to start looking for work, but I got the laptop and the other system so it's not critical. I just like my zorin! :mrgreen: As for my data, I just move or try to use my nas more often now so I can just do a new install, so that's not a problem for me.

Wolfman

Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:01:06 am

Hi Jaime,

can we mark this as solved or resolved?.

Jaime

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:47:40 am

Done, thanks for the help wolfman. I have had too many problems with the linux distros lately, but I managed to install the latest debian 7.2. It's not as quick or updated, but so far it installed without problems. I also found a few of my windows discs and decided to just install windows on my nano. I have a stack of about 15 cd's that I created trying to get this other machine working but just had too many headaches. The only thing I know is that the board I changed to uses an Intel chip. I was also using zorin 6 LTS, but I tried to install Ubuntu 13.10 and that thing won't even work. My screen is nothing but garbage on it. I know one of the small heatsinks was a bit lose and I fixed that before installing it since it wasn't making good contact. Things were getting a bit warm when I removed the board a while back and it had no gigabit nic, this is why I had taken it out. But it's fine now and it's been really cold, unusually cold where I'm at frankly so that would be no problem now even if it were to heat up. In any case, both machine hardware are now working fine again with the new operating systems. I'll keep that one linux machine to test things out as I'm also testing different hardrive cloning software to make this go easier. So far this is the only software out of the ones I have tested that seems to find my nas without much hassle. Clonezilla is ugly and G4L has more options, but still a pain in the **** to find my nas. If you know of any others similar to redo, please post. It's great for my windows machine, but it doesn't support ext 4 so that's the catch 22 on it. The other downside is that for a 500 GB hd, it takes about 50 minutes to back up to the nas and you end up with a bunch of files and not a single file. Still not perfect but at least I think I can live with this one since it's also free. A long time. http://redobackup.org/

Wolfman wrote:Hi Jaime,

can we mark this as solved or resolved?.

Wolfman

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:18:34 am

Hi Jaime,

I don't bother with backup utils as they take too long and can be unreliable but that is just my opinion, I simply copy my main files onto a backup USB stick, I also copy the hidden files of things like Mozilla and Thunderbird and just copy and paste them back when doing a new install.

At least you have a working system which is the main thing!. :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:22:52 pm

Another vote for just backing up /home here too! :D