This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Monitor issue after new dual boot setup

flyboy129

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:27:03 pm

MB: Asus F1A75 V PRO / CPU: AMD A8-3870K / 16GB ram
Hello all. I have had trouble with my Mint 13 os loosing some programs as well as my hp printer setup multiple times now. It also looses the ability to boot into recovery mode and synaptic goes crazy. I have had this issue more than once and am tired of fixing it, so I deleted my Mint 13. Anyway, I have moved all of my important stuff over onto my Zorin 6 OS which I will use for my main OS. I decided to redo my dual boot just in case I loose an OS (It has happened before.... :roll: ). I repartitioned my mint half of the HD and installed Ubuntu12.04. I updated the grub, and now when I try to boot into Ubuntu, my vga monitor thinks my computer shut down. I also have an hdmi cable to a flat screen tv, so I know that I am able to use Ubuntu. It displays everything fine. This is the first time I've had problems with a disply. Zorin (and Mint) has been installed on this PC since about June of 2012. Zorin is still visible on the vga monitor. Just not able to see Ubuntu past making a selection on the grub screen.

Thanks everyone!

Wolfman

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:09:40 am

Hi,

firstly, did you reset your monitor when you changed after fiddling around with the OS'es?, you can try thst by looking tfor the reset button on your monitor screen!.

Did you do a full system update, try this terminal command and then restart:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

flyboy129

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:37:22 pm

Did both of those. Still the same. Also, I noticed there are 2 different Ubuntu 12.04 installs listed for that same partition (sdev8). One is version .33 (the one I updated), and one is .29, just like the 33 before the update. Either one brings up 12.04, but neither display in the actual monitor.
Thanks.

GiveHim6

Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:10:03 pm

Just a suggestion, but why dual-boot, when you can use a flash drive with any Linux distro to recover your documents and what not, if you lose an OS? Also, why not use a secondard HDD to store you documents and make symbolic links in your library folders to those locations? I used to dual-boot, but now realize that it's more trouble than it's worth sometimes.

GiveHim6

Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:11:05 pm

Also using a utility like RedoBackup is great in imaging your systems, Windows and Linux alike. That's what I use to do small and large deployments at work.

flyboy129

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:24:41 pm

When someone questions "Why?", I have learned the answer is "Why not?" Personal preference. I have such a large hd, I'd never use it otherwise, plus I get to experiment with different setups. :D Update: Okay, so I went into the display settings in Ubuntu by clicking the gear icon at the top right corner of the desktop. I turned off the mirror display, the tv display, and set the monitor display to a smaller resolution size. It works like a charm! :geek: Thanks all! Mark as solved!