This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New User - Theme Issue/Question

izz

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:54:00 pm

Hi I am a new user and was hoping someone could give me some instructions on my theme issue?
I want to download and install a theme, which I have tried with no luck. Would someone please give me clear instruction as to installing themes?
What I did originally was:
1. use the nautilus command to gain super user permissions.
2. I showed all hidden folders.
3. navigated to themes folder and inserted my theme
4. restarted my Zorin OS
5. Opened tweak tool selected theme and tried to access my theme but it did not appear in the appropriate selections.
I'm not sure what I did wrong? This is why I am asking for clear instruction please.
Thank you all for your time!

Wolfman

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:05:49 am

Hi,

you must make sure that the theme you are downloading is suitable for the system you are running, for Zorin 6 it would be a GTK2 theme, for Zorin 7; you can use GTK3 or GTK2/3 themes.

To save yourself a lot of headache working as "root", open you home folder then right click the desktop and create two new folders, one called ".themes" and the other ".icons", that way you can simply copy any new themes into the folders which should be seen by the system!.

Or simply add a PPA from somewhere like the Webupd8 PPA as an example:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes

You would then have to search Synaptic package manager for any new available themes after refreshing your software sources list!.

See also:

https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/themes

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/announci ... s-ppa.html

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:43:20 pm

If you want to add wallpapers that have been designed for Windows (.themes), simply download the 'themepack' and 'extract' by using '7-zip' - I install the Gui version of 7-zip for windows and installed with WINE.
:D

Then once extracted, save in you pictures folder or if you want to go to the system folder search for /usr/shared/backgrounds or /usr/shared/wallpapers - can't remember which Zorin uses!