This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Some problems after install

kl1960

Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:57:56 am

First, thanx Wolfman for the plug to donate to the Philippines. My favorite destination. Ok, installed Z showing as Ubuntu 13.04 on the About This Computer button. The machine is a HP C-60-637CL notebook with 4gig ram, pentium dual core processor. Installed as a dual boot with Win 7 as the other OS. I installed the 32 bit version thinking of re-installing with the 64 bit, any advice? My observations so far is that I love Zorin. Speed is incredible compared to Win 7 and I have come to really like gnome 2 after I used it a bit. A couple things are keeping me from using it exclusively, the first being the number pad not functioning. I just can't even do my checkbook without it. I have tried changing the layout to every one listed to no avail. Then the layout button quit working. When I click it I get the circular "working on it" thing for a few seconds but then it opens nothing. Next almost as annoying issue is the cursor pad/scroll pad. I can hold both buttons down and the scroll will work which is not as handy as not having scroll at all, so I use the down arrow button to scroll down, and as a bonus the scroll bar on the right side of the screen is so narrow you need a separate magnifying lense on your glasses to see it, please pardon the sarcasm. Just a note to the developers, I haven't tried any Linux since Redhat in the 90's but I really think Zorin is my new OS home.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:56:06 am

Hi,

firstly, stick with the 32 Bit version if it is running. (I run 32 Bit versions on my 64 Bit PC all the time)

A lot of the small little problems will go away on their own if you uodate correctly, lets start with forcing an update and see if it helps, run the following command in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart your PC and see wht if any problems still remain and get back to us.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

If you have an Nvidia card, see:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490&p=10789#p10789

As for the Phillipines, well it is a natural disaster of ernormous proportions and we should all try and help our fellow man when and where we can. :D

Regards Wolfman :D

kl1960

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:59:31 pm

Thanks Wolfman,

I did the update below, didn't solve the numpad but something I did find out is the keyboard layout under the Applications/System Tools button menu still doesn't work but if I continue down to System Settings and then click on Keyboard I can go into Layout Settings. A couple of questions; after changing the keyboard settings does the system need to restart to take effect? In the terminal commands below where it says CODE, that is not part of the command in any way is it?

A lot of the small little problems will go away on their own if you uodate correctly, lets start with forcing an update and see if it helps, run the following command in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart your PC and see wht if any problems still remain and get back to us.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

If you have an Nvidia card, see:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490&p=10789#p10789

As for the Phillipines, well it is a natural disaster of ernormous proportions and we should all try and help our fellow man when and where we can. :D

Regards Wolfman :D[/quote]

kl1960

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:17:50 pm

Resolved the num pad, set to always on digits as Mac OS in case someone else runs into this. Many thanks Wolfman.

Wolfman

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:18:33 am

Hi,

are all your issues solved now?.

kl1960

Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:05:26 pm

I have one more issue I'd like to resolve and it is more my being a newbie than a problem. I'm trying to install a HP driver for my all in one printer, I found the driver pkg but when I try to run it I am told I need python-dev. Its the dev part of this that has me stumped at the moment. I went to pythons site and no matter which python I select for download it takes me to one that it says is for Windows OS. Maybe it just will also do Windows I don't know. Also the site doesn't refer to any of them as dev. I don't know if python is python is python or is dev a specific program? I typed python in the terminal and it says there is a version of python on my OS but doesn't refer to dev. So, like I say it is mostly just me being new to this that is the problem here.

thanks
kevin

Anonymous

Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:58:21 pm

You can more than likely find the item in question via " Synaptic Package Manager "
Just click on the " Search Option "

Enter Whatever > " python-dev "

And click apply to install the missing " Item " = " Package "

Anonymous

Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:15:51 pm

Here ya go !!!!

kl1960

Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:05:08 pm

I'm getting closer! Ok did all above then running the HP installer it said I needed CUPS, installed same way as above, ran the HP installer again and says I need libusb so when I go to do that the same way as above I installed one package but didn't do the trick. There are so many I'm not sure which to choose. Will it hurt anything to install ones I don't need or incorrect ones besides taking up space?

Auldyin

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:17:14 am

Hi
Have you installed HP Toolbox from the software center this usually installs all you need :?: .

hp.png

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

kl1960

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:45:22 am

Much thanks Auldyin,

Now I have to find a usb cable to complete the setup hopefully. I'll report back.

kevin

Wolfman

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:14:03 am

Hi,

also see the printer section in the post install guide, it covers HP printers!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054