This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to check which users have access to root and su command

agaur701

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:00:16 pm

Hi Everyone
I need to know is their a way from which we can know which users have access to root and su command ?

Regards
Shantanu

Wolfman

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:12:25 am

Hi,

you should install the package "gnome-system-tools" which will add an icon in the main menu under "Users and Groups", armed with this tool you can setup accounts and how the guest accounts react with the OS, you can select how much access the guest has with regards to network or printing and other areas of the PC!!.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/66718/ho ... and-groups

In a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

Regards Wolfman :D

Linx

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:36:21 am

The first user will have access as it is the "admin" account, all other users by default will not have sudo access, everyone will have su access but that is pretty much the same as them being able to login to the computer as it will ask for the password of the account you are requesting to switch to.

You are able to see the groups whom will have access by running, "sudo cat /etc/sudoers" There should be some examples of what your looking for in the files.

the % sign means it is a groups of users with permissoins, and no % means only a certain user.

ex: if I had a username "MYUER" to give my user sudo access I would do as follows.
MYUSER ALL = (ALL) ALL
ex: If I had a group called "MYGROUP" that I wanted to have root access I would add as follows.
%MYGROUP ALL = (ALL) ALL

You can see what groups a user is in by typing "id USERNAME"