This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Ever Since Last Update

AlliedForces

Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:56:10 am

Ever since the last update, I have been having several issues!

This OS has been very glitchy and doing very weird things.

The OS crashes and then about 20 prompts pop up and now
tonight Firefox is messing up big-time! I started the browser
and like ten windows opened!

It prompted me to let the programmers know and I sent it
through, but then it asked me to do the same thing like 3-4
times, more.

What the Freak is going on??

Wolfman

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:02:42 am

Hi,

start in recovery mode and then activate network (network cable required) and then drop to "root" and enter the following command:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Once done, type "exit" and then run "DPKG" and restart with Ctrl +Alt +Del and see what happens.

Regards Wolfman :D

AlliedForces

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:14:19 pm

It did nothing.

I really wish the programmers would make KDE an available GUI for this OS.
That would be so much better in my opinion.

Wolfman

Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:31:43 am

Hi AF,

I don't know if this will solve your problem but you can try forcing an update with the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart after doing this command!.

This will force an update in case it has something to do with missing depdencies but I am really not sure what is causing your problem.

AlliedForces

Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:37:57 am

Actually, the first suggestion messed up my video. Stretched stuff out side-to-side.

Re: the forced up date. Here is what the result was:

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Wolfman

Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:41:05 am

Hi AF,

without scanning all your older posts, which graphics card do you have?.

AlliedForces

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:08:05 pm

built-in motherboard Intel

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:58:14 pm

Could you provide us with a Intel graphics chip model details?

AlliedForces

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:02:29 am

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:07:56 pm

So, it is an Intel GMA x3100 chipset. Well according to this, Ubuntu 13.04 beta was supposed to run fine on it:

http://technoledgetree.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... z2nGW7Iy23

All I can think of is that if you are attempting to run Zorin 7.1 this could be an issue as it will be a modified version of 7.0 - alternatively there could be something in the Kernel that has screwed the graphics.

Are you running 7 or 6 of Zorin? I would be tempted to go with the LTS (Long Term Support) versions of Zorin.

Start with 6 but if this causes issues then I don't know what to advise other than purchase a separate graphics card if your budget will run to it.

AlliedForces

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13:37 pm

Running 7. I did run 6 when it came out and did not like it as much as 7. Actually, even though I've had some issues with 7, I had more with 6.
And no... I cannot afford a new graphics card at this time. Not currently working.

EDIT: also, I am now trying to print a page to file and save to the desktop. It displays no where on the desktop and then when I go to re-print to
file and save on the desktop, it says it is already there, though I do not see it.
I do have many other things on the desktop and put them in order and do not see the saved file. Where could it have gone?

So I restarted my computer using PCLINUXOS and take care of business with no problem.

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:20:30 pm

OK, just been having another look. I am wondering if it is a kernel issue, bearing in mind that newer kernels are for newer kit. You could try this:

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/ ... ck-release as I think the kernel closely matches that of Zorin 7 - can't check that at present as currently in Windows 8.1 preview. I would go to the main site:

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

and for you to check out the drivers that closely match the current kernel installed. With regards to the document issue I have not come across that one unless somewhere along the line it has acquired a 'hidden' attribute! What happens when you left click the desktop anywhere and press 'F5' for refresh? (I have seen on occasions where sometimes icons are hidden behind others on some Gnome based distributions. Hope you get sorted!

(I like PCLinuxOS for its simplicity of use but have some issues with wireless - if US layout is left as is - no issue - but in past if changed to UK wireless goes! Could never figure that one out! :D

AlliedForces

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:57:28 pm

Well, I don't know what to do with this. I am not a techy guru. I really just want a working OS, so I can get the things I need and want to get done.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:31:30 pm

Hi AlliedForces, (I never like to give up!) :D
Just found this - can you give it a try?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost5515568

AlliedForces

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:35:39 pm

I did this in the terminal:
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

It was completely blank. Nothing to edit.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:45:14 pm

Hi Allied Forces, Apologies for that - should have checked myself first - things are becoming harder as systems evolve to newer technicalities!

Can I suggest you download the appropriate .deb file from this link:

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/ ... .0.2-linux

Apologies if you have already tried this - but be sure to download the appropriate file (32-bit if running 32-bit Zorin, 64-bit if running 64-bit Zorin).

If you don't have it already, please install 'Gdebi Package Manager' to install the .deb package.

Wolfman

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:49:58 am

Hi AF,

what DE are you using, this might be a reason why things are screwing up?. I would stick with either Win7 or Gnome 2 look only!.