This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Update Ubuntu?

rmbelson

Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:07:22 pm

Brand new Linux user. Just installed Zorin and now have a message that there is a new version of Ubuntu. Update or not? Or will Zorin have its own update? Thnx

Wolfman

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:17:04 pm

Hi,

no!, please see this update guide about updating Zorin:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

rmbelson

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:31:49 pm

Thanks. But if I just downloaded the latest version on the Zorin site, won't that be updated to highest version already? I read your tutorial and have already been playing around with some downloads and adding apps to the dock, etc. Having never done any Linux commands I want to keep things as simple for my pea-brain as possible.

Wolfman

Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:28:02 am

Hi,

the reason I said no is because if you accept the Ubuntu system update; it will update to the latest version of ubuntu and not Zorin, you can only do a full OS update of Zorin by installing the next highest version from a disk or USB stick.

This part of the update guide covers this:

"Also note that where it states: "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version" is set to "Never". The reason is because if you allow it to update to any version of Ubuntu, you will most likely lose all your current settings and themes as a complete system update this way leads to the newest version of Ubuntu being installed!!.

You can update an Ubuntu system to the next highest level with the following teminal command, but!; and this is a big but, it will update to a full Ubuntu DE and ruin your Zorin installation:"

If you just use the update manager to update; you will be okay, just make sure that in your software sources settings, it is set to "Never" where it states "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version".

Regards Wolfman :D

rmbelson

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:06:09 pm

So I'm updating everything (security and software updates) except I unchecked the last item in the list: Ubuntu Base. My system was already set up to Never for Ubuntu updates so not sure why I got this in my list. Thanks.