This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Issues with graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 6470M)

torjusg

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:00:12 pm

After installing Zorin OS, I'm having problems with the pc getting really hot. So hot that it shuts down. That seems to have been partially fixed (still goes a lot hotter than with windows) after I changed from the standard drivers to using fglrx. But now a portion of the screen (the black portion in the lower end of the screen) has disappeared from view. Programs run behind it though, since I can still move my cursor there and click on things.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:51:38 pm

If you are using a Laptop I would opt for Zorin Lite rather than core. I would also advise removing fglrx - it causes more problems than it answers!

Open a teriminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge fglrx

You will be asked for your login password - after it has been removed, reboot and let us know the situation.

torjusg

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:51:35 am

Thank you Swarfendor

Removing fglrx did indeed solve the problem with the screen. But it got the temperature going crazy again. I will try your suggestion and download zorin lite.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:23:05 pm

If you are still having heating issues with Zorin Lite (it can happen, I know) then give LXLE a spin!

http://lxle.net/

Wolfman

Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:10:08 am

Hi,

what version of Zorin are you using?.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:37:44 am

I don't know if this will work but you can try.
You need to revert back to the open source drivers (radeon) and not to the closed source (fglrx).

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2545&p=12446&hilit=ATI#p12446

Otherwise, you can try to upgrade your kernel to 3.11 or 3.12 (plus do a little tweaking of the grub) as the support for ATI cards has been well improved.

Wolfman

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:56:34 pm

Hi MV,

just to point out that support for ATI only starts from the 5xxx versions upwards, I have a 4xxx and have to use the onboard drivers myself!.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:54:21 pm

... and that's why I decided to upgrade to nVida GT620! :D

torjusg

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:17:42 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

what version of Zorin are you using?.

Thanks for all the replies.

Tried zorin lite 7.1 today. Also did try the core (LTS version), The machine still goes way too hot. The temperature problems didn't seem to exist when I used the fglrx. I would assume the best then would be to get fglrx working with the right screen resolution. Any ideas to how that could be done?

Also having trouble downloading stuff from the repositories today, but I guess that is an ubuntu issue.

My computer isn't THAT old, that I should need some ultra light linuxes. It's HP Pavilion g1215ea.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:34:45 pm

I was not suggesting your box was old - I just find that LXLE seems to run cooler than when I ran 6.0 Lite of Zorin! ;)

Wolfman

Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:12:51 am

Hi,

firstly update your system using the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Restart your PC once done!.

Then; to install the package "fglrx", open a terminal again and use the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx

and restart and then then run updates again for that just in case scenario.

Let us know if this helps.

torjusg

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:14:44 pm

Wolfman

Installing fglrx again, certainly calmed down the temperature. BUT the black, empty space in the lower part of the screen came back as well...

Wolfman

Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:27:04 am

Hi torjusg,

did you change the screen resolution?.

torjusg

Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:30:29 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi torjusg,

did you change the screen resolution?.

No, but I tried, changing afterwards, in case that was the problem. It doesn't help. Neither does changing the look to XP or Gnome.

torjusg

Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:32:15 am

I did in my frustration yesterday try Pear OS, and the screen worked fine there with fglrx. There were too many other things I didn't like about that OS though.

madvinegar

Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:51:50 am

Could you post a screenshot showing the black gap?
I think that this is something that can go away by just tweaking a setting in either the compiz settings or on the ATI catalyst control center.

torjusg

Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:27:43 am

madvinegar wrote:Could you post a screenshot showing the black gap?
I think that this is something that can go away by just tweaking a setting in either the compiz settings or on the ATI catalyst control center.

Have a look at the first post in this thread. :-)

Wolfman

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:01:18 pm

Hi,

I found this but it is a little old:

http://cisight.com/install-amd-radeon-h ... 0-oneiric/

Hope it helps.

torjusg

Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:32:40 pm

Thanks a ton Wolfman.

The instructions in that article seemed to fix both the temperature and the screen problems. Some of the instructions in the article are a bit outdated though. Especially the ones in the end, when you use the latest AMD catalyst drivers. At least they didn't do anything for me.

I'm a very happy camper now and I'm glad I bought premium yesterday. :-)

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:47:24 pm

As it's Christmas, 120 Blue Jewels to Wolfman! :D