This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Black screen after GRUB on install

Jarkfander

Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:33:49 pm

Hello world!
First of all i'd like to say i'm pretty new to linux and zorin is really attracting me right now. Anyway, i'd love to try the os but i have some problems with the installation:

I run on an asus g75 with windows 8 preinstalled and uefi. I've disabled secure boot and enable pxe op rom (or something like that) so i can boot on the DVD driver. So far i don't think i made a mistake. I have checked my iso MD5, and burnt it on a DVD, with ImgBurn as recommanded in the installation guide with a 3x speed (it is the slowest i can pick). I've tried with 3 different DVDs (it's starting to be expensive :p), but i still have the same problem. The grub is OK but when i select to boot the live DVD, i get a grey screen, with a black underscore for a few sec and then nothing: blackscreen and all i can do is to power off the pc. I'm facing a wall and i really count on your help guys ^^

Any advice is welcome.

(apologies for my terrible english, or if i look rude, english is not my mother tongue, and i swear it is not on purpose :) )

Wolfman

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:44:04 am

Hi,

when you see the Zorin menu, press the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset acpi=off" and then press enter and see if it boots, do you have an Nvidia graphics card?.

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

leroilightning

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:11:06 am

I have the same laptop (with NVIDIA graphics). With the Live CD version of Zorin 8.1 running, I pressed Tab at the OS selection screen, specified "nomodeset acpi=off", and booted into the desktop without a problem.

However, now that I've installed Zorin, I don't get the option to press Tab to enter the nomodeset command. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get things booting through to the desktop?

Thanks,

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:26:19 am

OK, I think it changed/s to 'e' - press 'e' to edit and see if that gets you up and running to edit the boot command. :D

Keep us posted!

leroilightning

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:46:15 pm

The 'e' lets me edit the grub but it doesn't like the nomodeset command in there (doesn't understand it). Nice try though. :)

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:19:00 pm

OK, should point out that 8.1 is end of life on 17.7.2014 - I would give Zorin 9 RC a try! :D