This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Firefox Memory

AlliedForces

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13:13 pm

I have been having issues with Firefox and it consuming memory very quickly after initial start-up
and then it slows way down and gets choppy, sometimes having to wait a few seconds for the
page to catch up (refresh).

I also have been running Netrunner and noticed that in this distro, it takes a lot longer for Firefox
to eat up the memory.

My computer has 4 gigs of ram and when I only have a browser open... it seems a bit ridiculous
to have Firefox become glitchy and slow shortly after start-up!

What could be the difference between the same browser in two different distro's?

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:58:33 pm

Are they exactly the same releases? Are both distros 32-bit or both 64-bit - is one pae and the other non-pae?

AlliedForces

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:45:56 pm

I don't know what pae is. I'm running 64 bit and that's all I run. Ver. 26

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:06:42 am

PAE extensions were for the Intel Processors - don't effect AMD Processor machines. Now you have told me the number of Firefox, I suspect that is the issue - running nothing newer than 25 on Windows and Pear.

AlliedForces

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:06:15 am

Actually, I double checked Netrunner and Firefox is at 25.1

So you use Pear a lot? Is it a good OS for those that don't care to become a techy guru
and those who just want an OS to work and get done what a person wants to get done,
without having to work on your OS every other day?

Anonymous

Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:06:39 am

AF you are going to run into the same problems no matter what distro you use relative to Firefox.
Firefox development has been up and down like a yo yo for the last year and a half.
Some of the garbage for distros that are out doesn't help the situation either.
If you by any chance have any add-ons installed > enabled.
There are quite a few that will lag your system slower than a turtle.
Process of elimination is the only way to see what add-on is the culprit if any.

Stay with Zorin OS > drop to 32-bit can help.

or

Zorin OS Lite 6.2 or above.

or

Xuubuntu 13.10 is a very good prospect to think about.
Stay away from Mint > All-of-the-above !!!!
When one starts jumping around to much, they get a little to dizzy and lose what direction they already had.

Like I said > the problems with Firefox lagging...is the browser itself.
It does the exact same thing within Windows as it does Linux/Zorin OS.
Ran into the same problems whether is was on a Monster of a Rig or Prehistoric Dinosaur of a system.

Lastly here in the states you will seeing lagging in bandwidth, because of the holidays.
More people will be using the net at the same time, thereby causing the bandwidth speeds to drop drastically.
Causing Firefox to seemingly lag a long while surfing the web.
All the Servers will be working at peek levels thorughout the holidays.
That's Google > MSN > Ebay > all the way down the line.

AlliedForces

Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:01:52 am

Here are the extentions I always install...

Pic Attached:

Well, I guess there's another glitch. Upload a pic file doesn't work on this forum.
So, I uploaded to TinyPic.

EXTENTIONS:

Anonymous

Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:16:40 am

Disable ablock plus to increase response.
One of the most lagging culprits add-ons for Firefox.
I would use it only when needed.
You'll see a big difference with it disabled.
Disable anything else your not using.

AlliedForces

Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:39:48 am

I HATE ads!! I watch YouTube a lot and cannot put up with the ads. I also use free web based email and can't stand the ads.
I guess this is one thing I must put up with then, cause I cannot disable adblocker. But I don't have that many extentions and
the ones I do have are used regularly. But thanks.

Wolfman

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:11:31 am

Hi AF,

if you haven't done any updates lately, you might want to as version 26 of FireFox is now available and I haven't noticed any increase in sloppiness or increased CPU usage!.

Regards Wolfman :D
About Mozilla Firefox_066.jpg

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:49:49 pm

AlliedForces wrote:Actually, I double checked Netrunner and Firefox is at 25.1

So you use Pear a lot? Is it a good OS for those that don't care to become a techy guru
and those who just want an OS to work and get done what a person wants to get done,
without having to work on your OS every other day?

Well I have had Pear 8 since Beta 2 - the upgrades take the kernel to the latest version - sadly they got badly hacked (presumably 'fanbois' or 'anti-fanbois') the last kernel update sadly removed Pear Security which was a great interface for AV, and Rootkit detection. If you download Pear 8 final (64 and 32-bit) you will need to manually install LibreOffice as it does not come with many apps - hence the small size. I tend to use it when creating walls but Zorin does it just as well as I use the same Application - Gimp 2.8.

Pierre

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:33:45 am

Lastly here in the states you will seeing lagging in bandwidth, because of the holidays.
More people will be using the net at the same time, thereby causing the bandwidth speeds to drop drastically.

actually, that's anywhere in the western world, at this time-of-the-year.

- try disabling "memory restart 1.14" & see if that is actually making any difference to FFs memory.