This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Brief script logging out.

davelectronic

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:35:19 am

Just wandering if getting brief script on logging out is normal ? it is only a brief flash before it shuts down, all services are terminated before logging out.
I'm using Zorin 6.4 LTS 32 bit install, any help appreciated. :)

Wolfman

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:07:01 am

Hi,

I have never seen such a script myself, have you fully updated your system?, open a terminal and paste the following command and restart your PC:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

and let us know if it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

msrmf

Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:47:01 pm

Don't know if it's whats called a script I get for a half a second black screen confirming everything is shut down, with same 32 bit 6.4 LTS.

Anonymous

Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:14:44 pm

Mainly in Ref : > Intel CPU > Notebooks and some Desktops :

This is based on my past experiences with this matter !!!!

Being there is a serious lapse between Ubuntu Releases and Intel Graphics Support. > Gaps Between <
The majority has to deal with just using the provided graphics driver from the kernel etc. > Updates Whatever <
If one has Intel, they say this is normal...long as there is no error messages popping up during the shutdown phase. > Kind of Annoying <
NVIDIA is a different story....One will know if the driver is working right...when you see nothing > No text on the screen at all. <
Different things happen on the majority of computers.
The hundreds of times myself or Datek used the Nvidia-Current divers and text popped up in the console during boot or shutdown.
Something always went wrong with the system in more ways than one. > Immediately Following Installation <
My Notebook has the " Text " on the screen during shutdown.
I just ignore it..hoping maybe sooner or later Intel > [ Whomever ] will release a stable graphics driver.
Lastly they say it's a bug issue...well if it is...they need to change the bug spray.
For those bugs have been out for a good while. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

msrmf

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:33:44 pm

My desktop does indeed have Intel, I also have a Nvidia card I got for windows 7 compatibility (when and if I install it) that I have not installed yet.

davelectronic

Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:40:54 am

msrmf wrote:Don't know if it's whats called a script I get for a half a second black screen confirming everything is shut down, with same 32 bit 6.4 LTS.

Thanks all for the feed back.

Yes it is indeed the above as you say only for a brief second, not even enough time to read it. My graphics is a ATI Radion card pci e 5450 silent 1 Gb video memory, i've used Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for a long time and never encountered this issue, that's if it is one.

Also used Kubuntu 12.04 LTS / Netrunner and others with no issues, i've installed the same proprietary graphics driver as i did with the other distros using additional drivers app ! i still don't know ?

I have run the command Wolfman said in a terminal and it returned 0 on all updates meaning it looked like nothing needs doing as its all current ( a few days old ) maybe its just a tiny brief delay in between logging out shutting down and the actual shut down screen ! some time it doesn't happen and the shut down screen appears after the dark screen during shutting down, i'm still no wiser, but if its nothing to worry about then i can live with it.

Just puzzled as this Zorin build is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and that was fine, pass i don't know what it is. :?

davelectronic

Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:14:34 am

Hi again. In the last few minutes i've just loaded up the additional drivers app again and found ATI / AMD post release updates for the proprietary driver, so now when i shut down after logging out i get a complete steady blank screen for a few seconds then the system powers off all pc lights go out fans spin down, i will post back to let the community know if its consistent and all's well, thanks again for your help everyone. (-;

order99

Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:47:13 am

I also get a brief script before shutdown-but i've gotten the standard 'system is shutting down now' etc Process termination scripts on almost every linux distro i've ever used. I've always assumed this to be routine...

On the older distros I used (before my 6-year affair with a $10 Mac G4 and OSX 10.3.9) I used to get the usual process term messages, followed by 'It is now safe to shut down your computer'-and then needing to hit the power button to finish the power down sequence. Thank goodness that's in the past!

davelectronic

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:59:31 am

Well i gave Zorin another shot as i like the UI but it just to jumpy with my ATI PCIe card /-: so its back to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS the issue is i use you tube a lot for music etc and have a second window open like i have now, with Zorin the audio was jumpy and the graphics keep flickering very annoying. Anyway i think the bigger community forums are that big for a reason ! if those can get on ok with less known distros good luck to them (-; its just not happening for me.

All the best people and a Merry Christmas to you all (-;

Maybe try again in the future.

Happy new year to all when it gets here.

Kind regards.

Dave.

Wolfman

Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:09:47 am

Hi Dave,

a Merry Christmas to you and your family too. :D

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help but I don't have anything like you mentioned, as long as you have a runnig system, that is the main thing.

Zorin 8 should be out soon, lets see what that brings!.

Regards Wolfman :D