This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] boot problem with new install

ogborne

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:02:11 pm

I wanted to try Mint and installed it on a USB flash stick to try. I am interested in trying various linux distros even though I am very satisfied with zorin. I found that I could not save any changes to the USB stick and then found that if I installed Mint with "persistance" if would save changes. This worked for a while, but later the USB stick would not boot. I had a spare hard drive and decided to install Mint on it. I didn't want to corrupt the other two hard drives on the system so I disconnected them and installed Mint on the new hard drive. The bios recognized the new hard drive and it was listed in the bios boot menu, but when that drive was selected the grub menu appeared and no option was given to boot Mint. I checked with GParted program and it showed all three hard drives as SDA, SDB, SDC. I could tell by the size that they represented the three hard drives.

In the Ubuntu forum advice was given for a similar problem to "sudo update-grub" . This was in order to get grub to recognize the new hard drive. In this forum I found advice from Wolfman for a similar problem. This advice was to use the boot repair program from Source Forge.

What is your advice? Everything works as it should for the other two hard drives. I have zorin and xp.
Thanks for any advice you might have.

madvinegar

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:40:41 pm

The problem is that you have not installed grub on the external HDD, and since you have also disconected the other two drives, grub was not installed anywere.

I believe that if you use boot repair, everything will be sorted out.

ogborne

Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:45:19 pm

Thank you Madvinegar. The problem is solved. I was just about to try the boot repair of Source Forge when I thought about trying the xorin recovery console just below the xorin boot in grub. This recovery console had a screen whereby you could select several options. One option was grug repair or reinstallation. I can't remember exactly what it said. I tried that option and it gave me mint on the grub menu. I went into mint and it recommended using the mint recovery console. I did the same thing in mint recovery and then mint seemed just fine. Perhaps this will help somone else.