This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 7 will not allow TOS

kodiak

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:05:18 pm

TOS is Thinkorswim, a market trading platform that belongs to TD Ameritrade.

First off, let me express my absolute disbelief that Zorin OS is not the number ONE Distro on Distrowatch. How can that be? I run 2 trading platforms daily, TOS and Oanda (at oanda.com)
Zorin 6 handles them both. Mint will not. Most others will not. Why then, is Mint no.1?

Back to my problem. I have just downloaded and installed Z 7. It is jam up greater than ever. But, I cannot install TOS. Now granted, I am 79 and do not know command line. (one of the reasons
I LIKE ZORIN!). But, I DO know how to install TOS the click way, and it will not work with 7.

Perhaps one of you could go to tdameritrade.com or thinkorswim.com and see why it will not install.

Thank you all for all the great Linux work you are doing. I have much dislike for microsoft, and I believe that linux will take over as the public catches on.

Wolfman

Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:04:10 pm

Hi,

what process did you use to install it on Zorin 6?, is it a package you need to install or is it a simple live website application?, you might need to contact the admin on their websites for further help as I have no idea how it works and I am not going to try it out.

Regards Wolfman :D

kodiak

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:36:13 am

Thanks Wolfman, I've got the process down pat. Have done it many times. I've contacted TDAmeritrade and they say they haven't changed anything.
It has always worked for ubuntu based os's. I guess it will be resolved, or not.

Pierre

Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:08:36 pm

when you try to install it under Z7 - does it give any error?.
Eg: a dependency error.

- Z7 has a higher level for most of it's dependent files. - each version always will have.
this usually breaks something that worked in an earlier O/S version.

kodiak

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:24:18 am

Those files broke it for sure. Z6 installs it just fine. Wish I knew how to do a workaround.
As stated earlier, I am a software dunce. That's why I LIKE Zorin!

Wolfman

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:49:31 am

Hi,

if the packages you installed before worked in Z6; they may work in Z7/Z8, have you tried them out?.

kodiak

Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:23:21 pm

Thanks for responding Wolfman. As I said, Z7 will absolutely not do it. When I saw Z8 RC out
yesterday, I quickly got it, and NADA. Same as 7. Ameritrade's Thinkorswim will run beautifully
on any Ubuntu (debian) OS. NOT Z7 OR Z8. It's going to be a deal breaker for many of us. I am
the biggest Zorin fan in the universe, but I need it to run Thinkorswim and Oanda! Z6 runs TOS,
but for some strange reason, Oanda runs on Firefox and not Chrome. Oh, the sweet mysteries
of software. If I were 15, I would learn this stuff and be like Eric Raymond (he built Super Ubuntu
and Super OS) which would run it all! Since he quit, I haven't tried SOS. Maybe I should.

kodiak

Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:26:13 pm

P.S. Mint won't do c*** either. I marvel at why it is on top and not Zorin.
It is EXTREMELY OVERRATED!

Wolfman

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:51:10 pm

Hi kodiak,

did you try and install the package(s) with Gdebi or Ubuntu Software Center?.

kodiak

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:35:48 am

/Wolfman,

Thank You. I have no idea of how to install an outside program with the software
center or Gdebi. I think I did it on the Center with Skype, but the center opened up
all by itself.

an idea: You could go to tdameritrade.com , open an account, download and papertrade thinkorswim.
You will NOT have to fund the account nor will there be ANY charges or fees. It is arguably the best
trading platform in the world.

idea #2: Go to Oanda.com and sign up for a Practice Account. Download and trade the platform.
Sometimes there is just one little thing that is needed and prevents me from opening it. Absolutely
no charges here either.

Wolfman

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:26:46 am

Hi kodiak,

right click the downloaded "deb" package and then "Open with" and select which app you wish to use to open/install the package, I would use "Gdebi" myself!.