This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Printing Problems

AlliedForces

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:36:40 am

I have an HP OfficeJet 6500 and when I go to print it acts like it's printing
but nothing is on the page. When I try to print to file, it says it saved it where
I chose, though when I go to look for the file, I cannot find it. If I try to re-save
the file, it asks me if I would like to over-write. So I go back and look for it
and again it is not there. I even tried saving it to my Corsair flash drive and
the same thing occurred.

I also have Netrunner running on another computer and tried printing using
this Netrunner and it printed. It also saved the file to disk.

What could be wrong here?

madvinegar

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:34:58 am

Hi. What is the full name of the printer?
I want to check if it is supported by HPlip, and if yes, which version is needed.
For example, if your printer is HP Officejet 6500 e710, it is supported by HPlip but it needs version 3.11.1 or higher.
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... 10a-f.html

How did you connect your printer? Did you do it via HPlip?

AlliedForces

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:15:31 am

E709a

madvinegar

Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:06:03 pm

There you are:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... e709a.html

Your printer is supported by HPLip. Minimum HPLIP version 3.9.4

So you either install HPlip from the repositories/software center and you check the version to see if it is 3.9.4. or later.
If not, you can download the latest HPLip from here http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... index.html
(you can follow the instructions. It is just a matter of running a .run file).
Then you open HPLIP and you install your printer via HPLIP (and not via the printer's option of Zorin).

AlliedForces

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:48:07 am

Hplip IS installed. Ver. 3.13.3

That download link took me to the file ver. 3.13.11 and tried installing it. I got this:

warning: zorin distro is not found in AUTH_TYPES

madvinegar

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:57:53 am

No need to install the latest HPlip since your version is higher than the one needed for the specific printer.
Have you tried installing the printer via HPLIP?

AlliedForces

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:05:39 pm

No I have not. This is the first I have heard of this and I don't know how. But I guess I could do a search on it.

madvinegar

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:42:57 pm

Just open HPLIP and select "setup device".

AlliedForces

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:26:05 pm

Don't know where it is...

Edit: Actually found several files with this name by doing a search in the file manager, but then what do I do?

madvinegar

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:32:50 pm

First of all you have to install HPLIP TOOLBOX from software center.

You open HPLIP toolbox and as soon as it opens a window will pop up asking you to setup a device.
If not, you just go to device > setup device from the menu bar. Then you follow the wizard to install the device (chose if it is a network printer etc).

I will post pics tomorrow if you cannot figure your way out.

AlliedForces

Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:34:57 pm

Where is it? I looked al through the menu and could not find anything pertaining to this. The only hplip files I found were the ones I found using the file manager. But none of them were entitled toolbox.

Anonymous

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:58:45 pm

Main Menu > System Tools > Preferences > HPLIP Toolbox

AlliedForces

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:55:16 am

Hey, thanks for your help... but it's not there. Weird! Several hplip files are on my pc when I do a search in file mgr.

Anonymous

Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:10:13 am

One other way > Right Click on Zorin { Z } Start Button > Edit > System Tools > Preferences.
And see if there is a HPLIP Toolbox icon there hidden away.
It needs to be check marked to be seen in Main Menu.
If not in Preferences...check everywhere in Edit > Main Menu.
ScreenShot Examples.

AlliedForces

Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:18:52 am

Here is a screenshot of the menu:

madvinegar

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:37:18 am

Start it from terminal.

Code:
sudo /usr/bin/hp-setup

AlliedForces

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:49:48 am

Ok well, got it installed. But now, everything I try to print crashes within the program I try to print from... such as Libre writer.

madvinegar

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:02:57 am

HPLIP and HPLIP toolbox is by far the best app for HP printers/scanners etc. I have been using it to dozens of PCs/Laptops and it works flawlessly.

My impression is that there must be somekind of another problem in your system. Maybe an HDD failure? Or package/dependency problems?

Run in terminal
Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

This will hopefully fix any dependency problems you may have.
Then
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-uprade

to make sure your system is up to date.
Note: You need Internet connection for all above.
Then reboot and try again.

To check your HDD, an easy way is to open "disk utility", chose your HDD and see if you get any error messages on the right column of the program.

AlliedForces

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:19:34 pm

Here are the results:

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

$ sudo apt-get dist-uprade
E: Invalid operation dist-uprade

My hard drive is about a year old and is a Crucial SSD 128. I doubt my drive is bad...
but I guess ya never know. Never used to have an issue in Windows 7 before fully
converting to Linux.

And I know this is not on topic, but I am so tired of YouTube crashing Firefux every
time I go full screen! This has not happened in any other distro I have tried. I may be
switching to Netrunner when the new release comes out the middle of this month.

madvinegar

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:22:52 pm

AlliedForces wrote:$ sudo apt-get dist-uprade
E: Invalid operation dist-uprade

Sorry my bad. Typo...

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

AlliedForces

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:31:24 am

Same response as the other:

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Wolfman

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:18:35 am

Hi,

de-install hplip completely and then reinstall it and run setup using HPLip Toolbox, see the post install guide for info on HP printer setup:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Also run the following terminal "Force" command in case you have something missing:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Regards Wolfman :D

AlliedForces

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:59:50 pm

Thanks for all the help from everyone! I do appreciate it, but I have been having more issues than just a few. So I will be moving to a different distro.
I had my PC checked out and everything seems to work just fine as far as my hardware goes. I don't think I should have to have a top notch gaming
machine just so I can run Zorin Linux. Under Zorin, Firefox keeps crashing and running out of memory quite quickly and when I tried Netrunner, it did
not have this issue and in fact, it did not have any of the issues I have had with Zorin. It's not perfect, but none are. I just need to be involved with a
distro that has minimal issues and I think netrunner is it for me. Again, thanks for all your help and time!

madvinegar

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:16:01 pm

The most important thing is to be able to do your job without problems and hassle.
If netrunner works good for you, stick with that.

I just feel sorry that we could not find out what was the problem.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:35:34 pm

You may also like to look at some lightweight distros that do the job, Trisquel and LXLE - I run the latter on an old Notebook (as I write this in fact! :D ) and was impressed how it installed the Canon Printer (USB connection) two steps ahead of other distros I have tried - I did not have to select the model - it knew straight away that it was a Canon i865!

As madvinegar has stated, sorry we could not help more - maybe try again when 9 comes out.

Wolfman

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:17:15 pm

Hi AF,

ditto what MV and Swarf said, sorry mate!.

AlliedForces

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:51:09 pm

Just so you know... even after attempting to install HPlip and follow instruction in this thread, nothing changed.
Still couldn't even print to file. It did act as though it was successful... but when I went to locate the file, it was
no where to be found. Peace

Wolfman

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:24:16 am

Hi AF,

I have a question for you, did you try and print a test page just using the normal printer tools in a live version of Zorin?.