This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Right pane of Start Manu - delete items ??

whs

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:10:30 pm

I would like to delete a few items from the right pane of the Start Menu. How is that done? Thanks for answering.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:17:42 pm

Hi whs, If you mean the equivalent of the right-hand side of the Win7 menu that is not possible as it is part of a theme devised by Gnomenu then tweaked by Zorin. If you want to change the menu look to something else then you would have to do this in 6:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6131#p29049

The only part you can Edit are the menu elements on the left by right-clicking on the 'Z' Menu button, selecting edit then delete the application group you want to remove - if you make any errors then you can always click on the system restore button at the bottom:

Screenshot Menu.jpg

whs

Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:33:05 pm

Thank you for the answer. That is too bad - I had hoped it could be customized like in Windows 7.

The left pane I have already reduced significantly. No need to clutter the menu with items I either never use or I don't know what to do with. You can see in the little video that I made what I have done. I still have to add an end to the video - but that is as much as I have right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cy-RESNhOI

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:24:49 pm

Having some issues with YouTube at present but did pick up the bit on on-line banking - just be aware:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5143

whs

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:36:21 pm

Thanks for pointing the Trojan problem out to me. Nothing is safe any more. In what kind of world do we live.

But I will be more careful now with security statements regarding Linux.

Wolfman

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:33:20 am

Hi whs,

your vid has been removed from YouTube, is this solved now?.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:11:06 pm

Hi Wolfman, no it is not solved. whs is wanting to edit the bit of the Win7 type menu that appears on the right of the applications menu list - Home, Pictures, Documents, Computer etc - I think it needs extensive coding knowledge of GnoMenu and themes.

whs

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:55:12 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi whs,

Yeah, I am sorry. I had updated the video and reloaded it to YouTube. I updated the the link.
Here is the new link again.

Wolfman

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:25:42 am

Hi whs,

thanks for the link, is this solved now or do you still have a problem?.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:47:48 pm

whs wrote:

Yeah, I am sorry. I had updated the video and reloaded it to YouTube. I updated the the link.
Here is the new link again.

Hi whs, sorry to report the sound is terrible on your new upload - lot of static.

Wolfman, whs had stated in his original video about how secure it was - I then pointed him to the Banking exploit you raised. His initial problem has not been solved - editing the GnoMenu interface - the right-side of the Menu - Home, Document, Pictures etc.

whs

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:19:56 pm

Hmm, strange - the sound is perfect here. Could that be a specific problem on your system. The only thing I noticed on other systems is that the sound is very low. That must have been the recordmydesktop program. On my system it is normal though. Maybe I boost the sound and upload it again.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:52:44 pm

Hi whs, I was on a works machine running Opera portable - but I also tried it in the network installed version of Internet Explorer and got the same results. Haven't tried it at home yet so hang fire - might be tomorrow night when I get round to checking at home.

Wolfman

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:33:42 am

Hi whs,

apart from what Swarf has already told you; I don't know of any other way to make changes to the menu myself!, I think you are at the limit of possibllites as far as making more changes goes!. As far as I know; GnoMenu is no longer maintained?.

At least you got the high contrast theme working which is a plus!.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:49:11 pm

whs

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:36:42 pm

I now boosted the sound by 24Db and it seems to be OK. Have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxu6iYnLR-k

Wolfman

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:13:04 am

Hi whs,

I cannot remember if I told you this but for sound playback in general, see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

whs

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:32:55 pm

I cannot remember if I told you this but for sound playback in general, see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

Thanks, but I generally do not have a playback problem. In this particular case I had a recording problem. The sound level of the Zorin tutorial was just too low. Unfortunately I do not notice that on my own system - only on another system - even when played back from Youtube.

But when I know about it, there is an easy fix. I just boost the Dbs - normally I use +24Db