This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

My Menu button goes on strike

whs

Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:54:08 pm

I have noticed several times that I manu button refuses service. Sometimes it comes back after clicking on it many times, sometimes after a reboot and once I even had to reinstall. Why is that menu button so fragile. I have also seen the applet crash.

Wolfman

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:45:50 pm

Hi whs,

try removing AWN and then reinstalling with the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge avant-window-navigator && sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator

You might want to restart after doing the above.

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

whs

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:57:27 pm

Thanks Wolfman

I save the command and will try that next time the AWN goes on the blink. What I did up to now was to delete the whole system and roll in a backup. I only backup when the system works perfectly.

I have noticed that Zorin is still a bit shaky. Seems to still have quite a few bugs. I have all the updates. But some things just don't work - e.g. search from the menu search field. I never get any result. And there are a few other nits and lice I noticed during my trials. But nobody is perfect.

blfriis

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:01:46 pm

search from the menu search field. I never get any result.

try install synapse it works.
Code:
sudo apt-get install synapse

whs

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:48:22 pm

Thanks, I did that and it scrambled my menu which I had diligently set up to suit my specific needs. Rolled in my backup to get back to 'normal', LOL.I guess I won't be searching.

blfriis

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:24:50 am

when you have synapse don't search from menu, just start synapse.I think it's menu > tools> synapse set synapse to start with system. To activate synapse press Ctrl + space then you should be able to search for programs files etc..

whs

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:05:45 am

Thanks, I'll try that.

Found it. Works well on programs but not on files. Thanks anyhow.