This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] printer driver problems

ogborne

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:12:44 pm

I used system settings/printers to add a printer. My printer was recognized and a search for the driver was started. When the search was finished "gutenprint" was selected for my brother hl-1250 printer. It seemed to hang. I finally forced a "quit". I downloaded a brother driver using synaptic, but it didn't show up under settings/printers or downloads. I don't know where it is? Can you help?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:00:51 pm

Did you go to this page?

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... ml#HL-1250

I would download the .deb package and install using Gdebi Package Installer - if not installed, open a terminal Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Then go back to your printer settings - you may need the CUPS package but not sure how to do that - I am sure Wolfman gave some instructions for Brother Printers.

ogborne

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:36:57 pm

Thanks swarfendor437, Yes I saw that post and went to that page and tried to down load the driver from that page, but I got a message that said something to the effect that this download was suspect and should not be used. Like I said I used synaptic and found two brother drivers and downloaded those, but they don't show up as options under printers and they are not in the download folder. It said they were downloaded, but I sure can't find them.

Contra

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:48:17 pm

what printer model are you using, and what version of Zorin are you using?

is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

ogborne

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:10:00 pm

using zorin 7.1 64 bit and printer is brother hl-1250 thanks for you post

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:39:04 pm

Just found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWyp400rzzg

Be warned though, Zorin 7.x support ends at the end of January 2014 - you may want to consider dropping back to 6 for LTS (Long Term Support) - lasts to April 2017.

ogborne

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:15:01 am

Thanks Swarfendor437, I'll watch the link. I'm shocked at your next statement about Zorin 7 support ending this month. Why? I just purchased Zorin Ultimate in December. It was touted as the most advanced Zorin. When you say support ends, does this mean no posts concerning Zorin 7? Is there a post explaining this end of support and why, when it is there latest release? Which Zorin 6 do you recommend? Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:55:16 pm

Hi ogborne, just for clarity, Zorin is a 'fork' of Ubuntu. Ubuntu's last LTS (Long-Term-Support) release was 12.04 which is what Zorin 6.0 was built on - this is the one you want for updates, including security updates - that will last until April 2017. Intermediate releases of Ubuntu are every 6 months with an average life-span of 9 months as a rough-guide. Zorin 7 was built on Ubuntu 13.04 and bizarrely, Ubuntu 12.10 support does not end until April this year. Notice the Numbers of Ubuntu - these relate to the Year and Month of release.

For a guide to Ubuntu life-cycle, look here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

So this will apply to Zorin forks too! Hope this makes things a bit clearer for you! :D

Anonymous

Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:36:20 pm

@ ogborne :
Is your issue with your printer solved?

Perhaps you could try this:
- Switch on your printer
- Open a webbrowser
- type the following address in the navigation bar:
Code:
localhost:631

- Go to tab Administration

Now there are 2 options which you could try:
1 - Add printer
2 - Find new printer

Try option 2 first with your printer still switched on. Does CUPS manager find your printer? If not, try option 1 by adding the device manually.

ogborne

Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:42:25 pm

Hi Nomko, I did as you suggested and there are no other printer drivers offered than "foomatic/hl1250" so I guess I'll live with that driver. You may close this topic. Thanks to you and everyone who replied.