This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

need help with file sharing on my network

PastorMarc

Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:17:58 am

I need help with file sharing on my network, I have set up the shares on each computer and I have setup a NAS device. Yet when I try to see the files on the other computer or the NAS I get a can't mount message. But I am able to see the shares on the computer I am using. (in the network list) any and all help would be greatly appreciated. found this to work for me:

Fix for network browsing error:
“sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf”

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
workgroup = Derr
<= change to match your workgroup name
netbios name = marc-laptop <= input this line changing the name to match your computers network name

# to IP addresses
name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host <= change the line in your conf to this

Reboot and enjoy your shares

maxmm5

Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:57:23 am

HI PastorMarc, Wish I could help but no experience with NAS, so I make a research and found this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage. I hope you will get helpful information on wikipedia. Remainder; that be sure you have the same apps installed on both pc, so you can view the file of the same apps file type.
Good luck.

gowings83

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:03:59 pm

just to jump in here, I cannot share to windows either. I have the drive mounted, folder within shared with settings to share ect to anyone. I see it on windows but it says i do not have access rights. I go to the personal sharing settings and share public files is unchecked, but I cannot check it off, it says required packages aren't installed. What am I doing wrong here?

I just checked in Samba, I added the folder to share, allowed access to everyone and read/write set since I plan on moving files. Still get the same result.

gowings83

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:51:01 pm

Never mind guys, got it working thanks to my stubborn attitude. What a workaround to get it to go though.

LoneWolf

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:16:05 pm

What is your security set to in SMB? If you use "User" then you will need to have a login on all your machines and login each time but if you use "Share" then you don't need to login. Also you need to have a user account assigned to your each one of your shares on your computers.

Hope this helps

ciboss

Fri May 18, 2012 5:22:40 pm

gowings83 wrote:just to jump in here, I cannot share to windows either. I have the drive mounted, folder within shared with settings to share ect to anyone. I see it on windows but it says i do not have access rights. I go to the personal sharing settings and share public files is unchecked, but I cannot check it off, it says required packages aren't installed. What am I doing wrong here?

I just checked in Samba, I added the folder to share, allowed access to everyone and read/write set since I plan on moving files. Still get the same result.

I didn't find any solution to this problem I have too. Please help me (I'm completely new in ubuntu and zorin).

pvadams0129

Wed May 23, 2012 12:23:10 am

Try this for the missing packages... Worked for me.

To fix this, you need to install two (2) more packages. Type these on a Terminal then try again

sudo apt-get install apache2.2-bin libapache2-mod-dnssd

Can check this out at http://askubuntu.com/questions/83358/samba-is-installed-why-doesnt-gnome-file-share-properties-work

ciboss

Wed May 23, 2012 4:02:17 pm

pvadams0129 wrote:Try this for the missing packages... Worked for me.

To fix this, you need to install two (2) more packages. Type these on a Terminal then try again

sudo apt-get install apache2.2-bin libapache2-mod-dnssd

Can check this out at http://askubuntu.com/questions/83358/samba-is-installed-why-doesnt-gnome-file-share-properties-work

Thanks pvadams0129 - It's working now.
I have one more question: when I open PC3 (Zorin OS) in my Windows PC's on the same network, I can see and open all shared files (I gave them all read/write permissions for "everyone") but on some of them I cannot write. I checked all parameters but find no differences. Any other reason why I cannot wriote on some of them?

ciboss

Thu May 24, 2012 8:39:54 am

Thanks Swarfendor437. In the meantime I found my mistake and have full access to the shared files.

madvinegar

Thu May 24, 2012 9:11:25 am

Glad you got it shorted out. Would you like to share with us what was actually the problem and how you fixed it?

ciboss

Thu May 24, 2012 5:06:30 pm

I very much appreciate your concern but explaining what and how is very easy: i"m completely new in Linux and Zorin, and i'm learning from my mistakes ... too difficult to explain. Let me conclude this thread by saying THANKS to all members of this forum. Perhaps I'm coming back in another issue .. if I continue trying out Zorin. Bye bye from Bruges.