This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Update Manager/Software Centre Not Offering Latest Versions

Wolfenstein

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:07:35 am

I am running 32-bit "Zorin OS 6.1 Lite" and couldn't help notice that "Update Manager" or "Software Centre" are not offering Latest Software versions. For example:
- "Libre Office v3.5.7.2" [current v4.1.4]
- "The GIMP v2.6.12" [current v2.8.10]
- "Chromium v41.0.1650.63" [current v32.0.1700.77]

I could I download these manually from the developer's website and install it? Say using these instructions -
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-I ... 5741.shtml

Is it because of hardware and/or software limitation that is making only older versions available?

Or would be advisable to stick with versions offered on "Software Centre" as being the best for my system?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:23:56 pm

Hi Wolfenstein, you could try installing manually - if the packages rely on certain versions of libraries that are not present on 6.1 Lite it should inform you or if certain dependencies needed but won't install due to this - see my other post:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6183#p29383 :D

Wolfenstein

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:45:02 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Wolfenstein, you could try installing manually - if the packages rely on certain versions of libraries that are not present on 6.1 Lite it should inform you or if certain dependencies needed but won't install due to this - see my other post:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... 183#p29383 :D

Thank you, I don't really see why those updated versions won't work. Viewtopic link to my question about LTS for Lite version.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:45:51 pm

Basically, when a distribution is rolled out it comes with a specific kernel version and all the apps will have been installed that match that kernel and any dependencies. When the kernel gets updated, very often the other dependencies (new ones) get installed and any applications (updated) will show up in update manager! ;)

madvinegar

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:23:12 pm

Each release has its own repositories for which the packages are drawn.

Wolfman

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:09:17 am

Hi all,

see also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D