This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Corrupted Graphics In Zorin OS 6.4 Core

Wolfenstein

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:35:34 am

I installed 32-bit "Zorin OS 6.4 Core" the on-screen graphics displayed correctly minus overlapping text and cascading windows that didn't close upon completing various installations. Booting for the first time in OS graphics appeared corrupted as in squashed sideways, unsure why. With 32-bit "Zorin OS 6.2 Lite" graphics is fine. How can I view and change which graphics drivers it is using? Would it be possible to copy graphics drivers from OS 6.2 Lite to OS 6.4 Core? and how can this be done cleanly? preferably something with GUI-front end as I don't understand command line syntax.

I did "Memtest 86+" passed 100%. I ran: "Recovery mode" 'dpkg' repair broken packages and 'fschk' check all file systems, no issues were reported. I tried "safe graphics" sometimes giant "X" mouse pointer disappeared during start-up. I enabled "low graphics mode for one session" and rebooted the same problem as I mentioned above.

In 32-bit "Zorin OS 6.2 Lite" in "Preferences" > "Additional Drivers" pops up, it goes online when finished a dialog box appears all fields empty except for the message on top: "No proprietary drivers in use on this system" and a 'close button'. If I were to use 32-bit "Zorin OS 7.1 Lite" this doesn't happen. How can I find out what they are? where can I find them? preferably something with GUI-front end.

My preference is to run "Zorin OS 6.4 Core" for it's long term support (LTS).

My computer setup -
"Dell Dimension 2400" computer
"Dell FP5315 Flat Panel" LCD Monitor maximum resolution 1024x768
Motherboard: Dell Dimension CN-0G1548-70823-44U-E06E Rev. A00
CPU: Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz 128Kb Level 2 Cache
Chipset: Intel i845G
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV (AGP Aperture 128Mb selectable 32Mb to 256Mb. Video Buffer 1Mb up to 8Mb)
RAM: 768Mb DDR SDRAM 266Mhz (Elpida 256Mb DDR PC2700 and Kingston 512Mb DDR PC3200)
Audio: SoundMax Integrated Audio
Ethernet: BroadCom 440X 10/100 Integrated
Hard Disk: PATA IDE 40Gb Samsung SP0411N 7200RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA133
Optical Drive: PATA IDE HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B
Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44Mb Floppy Disk Drive (CN-OV2162-70821-45D-06RA Rev. A00)

Any help will be greatly appreciated it, thank you.

madvinegar

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:17:12 am

You have an intel 8 series card which is a little problematic with linux.
Try this. In terminal give the following two commands, the one after the other.
Code:
sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

Code:
echo -e 'Section "Device"\n    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"\n    Driver      "intel"\n    Option      "TearFree"    "true"\n    Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"\n EndSection' | sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

(The second command is one line. You copy and paste it as it is).
Reboot and see if that helped.

Wolfenstein

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:20:10 am

madvinegar wrote:You have an intel 8 series card which is a little problematic with linux.
Try this. In terminal give the following two commands, the one after the other.
Code:

Code:
echo -e 'Section "Device"\n    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"\n    Driver      "intel"\n    Option      "TearFree"    "true"\n    Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"\n EndSection' | sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

(The second command is one line. You copy and paste it as it is).
Reboot and see if that helped.

Thank you, I used copy & paste into terminal then rebooted. One of three scenarios occur:
- 9 out of 10 Passes StartUp Screen with spinning circle. Background picture and mouse pointer that moves when mouse is used. No Desktop Icons. No Taskbar.
- Passes StartUp Screen with spinning circle. Desktop Icons for "Computer", "Home" and "Trash" appear. No Taskbar. All three Icons are working, no flickering screen. "Computer" brings up all the directories on the hard disk.
- Passes StartUp Screen with spinning circle. Desktop Icons and disappearing/reappearing Taskbar. Screen has a terrible flicker, program icons behave like Taskbar and ghosting when a Window is closed as if it is still opened. From here I was able to access "System Details" > "Graphics" which reported graphics driver as Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (llvm 0x300) in Standard mode.
- "Safe graphics" sometimes giant "X" mouse pointer disappeared during start-up. I enabled "low graphics mode for one session" and I now get dumped into command line (or terminal).

I did press ESC key during StartUp Screen and everything was reported as [Ok].

I tried recently released "Intel Graphics Installer 1.0.3 for Linux*" using "Graphics Installer for Ubuntu* 13.10, 32-bit" being:
Release Date: 13 Jan 2014
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/node/267

The same as above. :roll:

madvinegar

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:47:55 am

Could you please post back the result of the command:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 VGA

Wolfenstein

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:22:01 am

madvinegar wrote:Could you please post back the result of the command:

Sorry for the delay in replying, I couldn't get it to do anything and I reinstalled "32-bit Zorin OS 6.4 Core", I redid:
echo -e 'Section "Device"\n Identifier "Intel Graphics"\n Driver "intel"\n Option "TearFree" "true"\n Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"\n EndSection' | sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Outputting result:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
EndSection

Generated:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [8086:2562] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0160]
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: intelfb, i915

madvinegar

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:54:02 am

Since you said that the first commands I gave you did not have any result, why did you run them again? Do you see any improvement now? If not, we can undo the changes by running the following in terminal:
Code:
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

and reboot.

After the reboot, we can try a ppa that might improve things.
Run the following commands:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and reboot.

Did that help at all?

Wolfenstein

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:42:41 am

madvinegar wrote:Since you said that the first commands I gave you did not have any result, why did you run them again? Do you see any improvement now? If not, we can undo the changes by running the following in terminal:
Code:
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

and reboot.

After the reboot, we can try a ppa that might improve things.
Run the following commands:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver
sudo apt-get update

and reboot.

Did that help at all?

Yes, I am just getting Desktop Icons every-time now, no flickering screen and Taskbar has vanished, pushing Windows key or hovering mouse down below doesn't seem to bring it up.

Report -
You are about to add the following PPA to your system:
Updated versions of Intel graphics driver.

For Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10 and 11.04 driver version 2.15 will be installed. If you're using Ubuntu 11.10 aka Oneiric Ocelot, driver-version 2.17 will be installed. For Ubuntu 12.04 version 2.21.x will be installed. This version allows runtime-switching of the accel method via xorg.conf (UXA or SNA). As standard the new "SNA" acceleration is used. To use "UXA" you have to create a xorg.conf-file with the following content:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
EndSection

Warning :
All versions since 2.15 of the Intel-driver only support KMS. If you've deactivated KMS e.g. by adding the option "i915.modeset=0" to the file "/etc/default/grub", please reactivate KMS by deleting this option.
More info: https://launchpad.net/~glasen/+archive/intel-driver
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpua1E2f/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpua1E2f/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: requesting key 066ADE1D from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: /tmp/tmpua1E2f/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 066ADE1D: public key "Launchpad PPA for Stefan Glasenhardt" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)
OK

madvinegar

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:51:52 am

Try also this ppa and reboot:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update

Wolfman

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:30:15 am

Hi,

you might have a dependcy problem too, try running this terminal "Force" command and restart your PC after running it:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Regards Wolfman :D