This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Say hello, questions detected

RacerBG

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:55:57 pm

Hello, Zorin Users or Zoros, or just members!

My real name is Georgi (George) and my nickname is known already at Linux Mint and Crunch Bang. Of course that doesn't mean that I'm Linux guru. I'm just distro hopper and Linux fanboy. As you read my sentence above you may suggest what are my distros of choice but lately I read *somewhere* about Zorin OS 8. I know Zorin from the beginning but I though that it's just Windows clone. Well, it's not! :)

That's why I'm here now. My 3rd distro which will be my main OS for many months or even years ahead will be Zorin. Of course questions follows:

1. Can I install now the RC version without re-installing it when the final Zorin 8 arrives?
2. What is the memory usage of this OS? I heard about something like 350 MB - 400 MB.
3. What are your relations with Ubuntu? For example Zorin support time=Ubuntu support time?
4. Why there is not upgrade option built in Zorin? Ubuntu have, Mint doesn't because of stable reasons.

That's all. :)

PS: Zorin 8>>>Windows 8 and Zorin is wayyyy more pretty and usable! 8-)

madvinegar

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:59:50 am

Hi.
1. yes you can, you will be doing the regular updates and you will pass to the final version when that is ready.
2. Indeed it is about 350-400mb
3. Zorin is based on ubuntu. Every zorin version is based on a ubuntu version and therefore shares the same support time. For example Zorin 8 is based on ubuntu 13.10 so the support period is 9 months up to July 2014.
4. I think this cannot happen as, even if Zorin is based on ubuntu and uses ubuntu repositories, there are a lot of changes and additions in packages that are completely different from ubuntu. Therefore, in an upgrade the system would most likely break.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:30:29 pm

Just an observation, is not question 1 and 4 the same put in a different way? Basically new releases mean fresh installs - if you have room on your drive you could install the latest side by side of the old one. :D

madvinegar

Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:41:30 am

Swarf, if I understood question 1 correctly, RacerBG was talking about an upgrade from Zorin 8 RC to ZOrin 8 final. So we are talking about the same release.

Question 4 is about updating to a different release, i.e. from Zorin 7 to Zorin 8, which does not happen in Zorin.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:44:00 pm

Hi madvinegar, thanks for the clarity - I tend to do a fresh install anyway (that said I did not do that with Pear OS 8 Beta 3! :D )

Wolfman

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:29:52 am

Hi,

you can upgrade Zorin using this method:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Read the above link carefully!.

Regards Wolfman :D

RacerBG

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:08:35 am

Thanks for the replies. I know about separate home partition and things like this. Yes, question 1 is not equal to question 4. Sorry for the late answer but anyway I received your answers, that's important. :)