This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

google chrome in Zorin 8

argadget

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:17:24 pm

I have installed Zornin 7 on a computer and it works ok but I cannot play youtube videos so I allowed it to update and the I could not launch google chrome. I then downloaded and Install Zorin 8 and removed Zorin 7 but now I can't even launch Google Chrome at all. I have tried reinstalling both Zorin 7 and 8 with the same results. I have order a Zorin 8 but it has not arrived as of yet. I have been using Ubuntu for some time and on most of my computers that I have installed it on it works fine. but the computer that I am having trouble with playing youtube videos was having the same problems using Ubuntu, which is understandable. this computer is my brothers and I did not realize it until they told me they could not play videos that were emailed to them, so I suggested Zorin 7, but the problem is the same. I hope this can be fixed because I do Like the way Zorin looks and it seems to work ok on my cmputer. Hope there is a fix for this problem
Thank you

madvinegar

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:51:56 am

Have you installed flash player and other codecs?
Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Also, please post the result of the following command to see what is your graphics card:
Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 VGA

Finally, have you tried with other browser like firefox?

argadget

Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:40:02 pm

when I installed "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras" results readingpackage list.....Done Building dependency tree resding state information....Done Ubuntu-restricted-extras is already the newest version
0 upgrade,0newly,0remove and 0 not upgrade
when I installed "lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 VGA" it read (VGA in red) compatible controller [0300] advanced micro devices,inc [amd/ati] rv350 [Radeon 9550/9600/x1050 series] [1002;4150] supsystem;advanced micro devices inc
[amd/ati] R9600 pro primary ( asus oem for hp) [1002 :0002] kernel driver in use: radeon 01:0001 display controller [0380]: advanced micro devices, inc, [amd/ati]rv350 [radeon 9550/9600/x1050 series](secondary) [1002:4170]
I really don't know what all this means, but I am guessing that the video card is ok
Ihave installed firefox and it works when I type in address line at the top but when I type in the search line in the middle of the screen , it does not work. I just get a black square when I hit search. I got to this site using fire fox and typing the address in the adress line ,when I try to play a youtube video using firefox I get a black screen that turns to white. if the search would work in fire fox and it would play youtube videos ,that would be great.
thank you for any help

Anonymous

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:22:32 pm

argadget wrote:when I installed "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras" results:
Code:
readingpackage list.....Done Building dependency tree  resding state information....Done Ubuntu-restricted-extras is already the newest version
0 upgrade,0newly,0remove and 0 not upgrade

This means that the Ubuntu-restricted-extras package is already installed (by default?) and that the package is the latest package available. This means that you must have the latest Adobe Flash installed as well.

argadget wrote:
Code:
(VGA in red) compatible controller [0300] advanced micro devices,inc  [amd/ati] rv350 [Radeon 9550/9600/x1050 series] [1002;4150] supsystem;advanced micro devices inc
[amd/ati] R9600 pro primary ( asus oem for hp) [1002 :0002] kernel driver in use: radeon 01:0001 display controller [0380]: advanced micro devices, inc, [amd/ati]rv350 [radeon 9550/9600/x1050 series](secondary) [1002:4170]

I really don't know what all this means, but I am guessing that the video card is ok

This is the output of the command you executed. It gives you some detailed info about your videocard so we know which ATI/AMD videocard your system has.

madvinegar

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:52:16 pm

ATI dropped Linux support for the ATI 9600 series over 3 years ago. So your only solution is to use the open source drivers (radeon).
Could you try with Zorin 6 as well (which is more stable and uses a previous version of mesa)? No need to install. Just try on a live usb or CD, go to youtube and see if you can play the videos.

argadget

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:38:19 pm

I have tried Zorin 6.4 and 7.1 , the google chrome works fine but when I play a you tube video it says " can't load the Shock wave flash plug in. it is the same for both 6.4 and 7.1 versions

madvinegar

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:49:20 am

The shockwave flash is available only for windows! Not for linux. Your only chance to get it working is by installing the windows version of firefox.
See the link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/48140/co ... ave-player

Anonymous

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:04:01 am

I thought Google Chrome does support Flash by default unlike Chromium?

madvinegar

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:23:37 am

Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Shockwave player are two different things.

Anonymous

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:52:52 am

madvinegar wrote:Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Shockwave player are two different things.

I know that, but what I mean was, Google Chrome does support both Flash players by default? Adobe Flash terminated their support for Linux (only security updates will be made available or Linux) but Google Chrome still gets the latest Adobe Flash player and will receive any updates. Just wondering if this applies for the Shockwave Flash player as well since both Flash players are products of Adobe.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:49:41 pm

If the issue is just YouTube, install SMPlayer with YouTube! ;)

http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/

madvinegar

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:50:18 pm

Just to get the facts straight.
1) There was never support for shockwave player in linux.
2) Indeed adobe stopped the support for Flash Player.
3) Firefox in linux still uses adobe flash player but an older release, namely 11.2. (The present release is 12.0).
4) Chrome, in order to keep up with the updates of Adobe flash have created their own flash player in linux, namely "Pepper Flash". Pepper flash is updated in line with the updates of Adobe flash player.

So, to summarize:
i) if you want to play a video in linux that requires Shockwave player, the only way to probably achieve that is by installing via "Play On Linux" or Wine, the windows version of firefox.
ii) if you want to play a video in linux that requires the latest release of Adobe Flash, you should use Chrome.
ii) if you want to play a video in linux that can be played even by using release 11.2 of adobe flash, you can use firefox as well.

To be honest I use firefox only, and I have never come to confront a problem of not being able to view a flash video.
In the future it is discussed to completely drop the use of flash player and only use html5. I think all the apple products use that already and there is also option in youtube to use html instead of flash. See here and try it out: http://www.youtube.com/html5

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:52:44 pm

I do seem to remember that 'Wine-doors' did get Macromedia Flash working, but it might have been a demo of something else - will have to check my out-of-date Sabayon 3.5.1 that I have not touched in ages! :D

Anonymous

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:16:18 pm

1) There was never support for shockwave player in linux.

Why it is possible then that I could see/play items that required shockwave under Linux?

madvinegar

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:21:51 pm

madvinegar

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:24:33 pm

Also read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Shockwave

Platform support

Unlike Flash, the Shockwave browser plugin is not at all available for Linux or Solaris despite intense lobbying efforts. However, the Shockwave Player can be installed on Linux with CrossOver or by running a Windows version of a supported browser in Wine (with varying degrees of success).

argadget

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:07:54 pm

I am no computer geek , I just install the os and hope it works ,but there is one thing I don't understand. I have down loaded Zorin 7 and I have installed it on 3 different computers on two of them I can seem to play any video on youtube
shockwave or whatever. and yet I use the same os disk and install it on the third and I just cannot play shockwave. another problem is when I get updates for the Zorin os ,it does not affect the 2 computers that seem to be working ok but on the computer that I am having problems with, after I install the updates, I cannot launch Google chrome at all ,it says there is an internal problem, and it doesn't matter if I have Zorn 6.4 or 7.1 installed. the only difference I can detect by installing 6.4 or 7.1 is that with 6.4 I am unable to download firefox from the software centre it says I have no internet connection,which I know I do have one. whereas with Zorin 7.1 I am able to download firefox. So why would the same operating system play all videos on one computer while it won't on another. that puzzles me. thanks for any help

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:12:16 pm

OK, I am guessing you used the Browser changer? With new releases the link becomes outdated (unless Zorin now update the Web Browser chooser with updates). There could be a graphics card issue or some other dependencies - without full details it is hard to say. :D

Wolfman

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:08:07 am

Hi all,

this might help a little:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/install- ... r-for.html

Regards Wolfman :D

argadget

Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:59:20 pm

I am not sure why zorin doesn't play you tube videos or why google chrome doesn't open when I update zorin 6.4 or zorin 7.1 or install zorin 8. I install Linspire 6.0 which is Linux but doesn't exsist anymore and evey thing on that computer worked like it should. was going to leave it on but could not get access to programs. so I was so fed up that I finally reinstalled windows again on that computer. I have install Zorin 7.1 on three other computers and all is well, except on my computer I installed Zorin 8 and I am unable to install my printer,when I had Zorin 7.1 inatlled the printer install fine ,but I will wait until I get the disk I order, maybe the download wasn't good,I am not sure, it seemed to be ok,but who knows. Thank you for your suggestions.

Wolfman

Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:33:20 pm

Hi,

if you are having problems with both versions 6 and 7 of Zorin, did you do a DVD install and did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

provenpcs

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:06:18 pm

I just installed Zorin 8 as well and Chrome does not work, and the Zorin Web Browser Manager under Internet does not work either.

I will try to install Zorin 7.1 and see if that works.

Steven
PROVEN PCS

Wolfman

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:43:25 pm

provenpcs wrote:I just installed Zorin 8 as well and Chrome does not work, and the Zorin Web Browser Manager under Internet does not work either.

I will try to install Zorin 7.1 and see if that works.

Steven
PROVEN PCS

Hi,

see my answer here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6310