This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

what is the best printer to use with Linux?

Contra

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:35:40 pm

ok to start off with, my Brother wireless MFC works well, and prints clear, but not all functionality work (at least not like in Windows)

so my question is, is there a printer for Linux where all functionality works?

if so please post up the models...

madvinegar

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:58:49 pm

HP is your best choice for Linux.
Very good support using the hplip and hlpip-gui toolbox.

Anonymous

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:04:01 pm

Contra > HP Officejet 4500 wireless are great with GNU/Linux.
Or one an HP Officejet in that model range.
Walmart has the best prices for those printers.
They are dirt cheap there...including replacement ink !!!!

Wolfman

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:21:06 am

Hi,

see also:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/about.html

I have an HP printer/scanner myself, I will not use any other printer under Linux based systems!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Anonymous

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:43:25 am

As mentioned a couple of times above, HP is very good choice. HP devices normally work out-of-the-box due to the very excellent support of Linux for HP devices. Any problems with HP devices and especially with the newer models which aren't supported by the kernel yet can be solved by updating the HPLIP driver manually. Another brand that works quit well is Epson. Epson does support Linux and provides drivers for Linux. Canon can be a pain in the a**, although they provide drivers, it's not always a guarantee that the Canon devices work properly.

Another point is scanning software. Not every brand provides their own scanning software. HP doesn't, Epson does, Canon i'm not sure. But for a simple document or letter Simple Scan is more than sufficient. So any regular user who scans a document or letter now and then it's not such a big issue, but if you're a professional user then this might be a point to think about.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:00:30 pm

nomko wrote:As mentioned a couple of times above, HP is very good choice. HP devices normally work out-of-the-box due to the very excellent support of Linux for HP devices. Any problems with HP devices and especially with the newer models which aren't supported by the kernel yet. Another brand that works quit well is Epson. Epson does support Linux and provides drivers for Linux. Canon can be a pain in the smooth jazz, although they provide drivers, it's not always a guarantee that the Canon devices work properly.

Another point is scanning software. Not every brand provides their own scanning software. HP doesn't, Epson does, Canon i'm not sure. But for a simple document or letter Simple Scan is more than sufficient. So any regular user who scans a document or letter now and then it's not such a big issue, but if you're a professional user then this might be a point to think about.

There's very useful listings for various bits of hardware here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5440

david7307

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:08:49 pm

I also use a HP C3180 never had any trouble with it