This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Using Zorin 7.1 after Jan. 31

ogborne

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:34:01 pm

I have downloaded and installed 6.4. I plan to switch all activities to 6.4 on my computer. My wife uses 7.1 on her computer for e-mail, web searches and a few documents in libre-office. What exactly happens with "no support".
Does it mean no questions will be answered about 7.1? No updates? I'm not sure it is worthwhile to install on her computer.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:14:06 pm

It means there will be no further updates - security or otherwise as it is based on Ubuntu 13.04 whose support ends at the same time. If your good lady requires the latest then put 8 RC on now or when the final one comes out but that will only last till July this year I think!

Pierre

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:10:09 am

What exactly happens with "no support".

that means that there will be no more files from the repo's as they will be offline.

- is that an issue ? - not really, as Zorin7 is quite stable & will continue to be so,.
things like FF will not longer be updated, so that will have to be done manually,
but that's no biggie - it's done on occasion on these PCs.

- everything else is just fine,
- no security updates for Linux is not the same issue as it is for a M$ O/S .. ..

things will still work fine.
- you don't even have to update that PC if you don't won't to do so.

which is contrary to popular opinion. .. ..

Wolfman

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:59:39 am

Hi,

you can update any version of Zorin to the next higher version if you follow this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:03:09 pm

Pierre wrote:
What exactly happens with "no support".

that means that there will be no more files from the repo's as they will be offline.

- is that an issue ? - not really, as Zorin7 is quite stable & will continue to be so,.
things like FF will not longer be updated, so that will have to be done manually,
but that's no biggie - it's done on occasion on these PCs.

- no security updates for Linux is not the same issue as it is for a M$ O/S .. ..

which is contrary to popular opinion. .. ..

Whilst GNU/Linux is not as prone to the same security issues as M$ operating systems because it is community driven and security patches are uploaded within hours rather than M$ days. There can be Memory Stack Overflow vulnerabilities but I am no hacker so don't know how these work but you do read about users getting escalated privileges. I await to be corrected. :D

Anonymous

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:33:26 pm

Correct! As soon there is a newer version available the repo's of the current version will be put offline. However, repositories for the LTS version stays online untill the end-of-life cycle of the LTS version has reached.

Pierre wrote:is that an issue ?

No and yes. It's not such a big issue if everything runs just fine and smoothly. There's not even such a big potential for security breaches or threats since Linux is lesser prone to viruses and malware/spyware. But keep in mind that you won't even receive updates for applications that are known for their high security risk, as example Adobe Flash. Those applications you have to update manually, but like you said, that's not such a big headache.

Pierre wrote:not really, as Zorin7 is quite stable & will continue to be so

Even without regular updates Linux will still be stable and continue so.

Pierre wrote:
but that's no biggie

Nope. Updating FF won't be such a big issue. But ask yourself, it it really necessary? Most updates aren't even security updates...

Pierre wrote:
- it's done on occasion on these PCs.

which is contrary to popular opinion

Most updates you get are bugfixes. And most of those bugs you won't even notice. And if you or your family use that system just for emailing and webbrowsing, writing a letter now and then, it won't be such a big deal working with a version of Zorin that's not supported but still works and do the things you want.

Good luck!

ogborne

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:55:58 pm

Thanks Guys for all the replies. From what you have said, I think I'll let my wife's computer run zorin 7.1. She likes it and if use to the features. You can close this topic if you wish

Wolfman

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:20:04 am

Hi ogborne,

you can still install Zorin 8 over 7 and keep your data if you follow this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Regards Wolfman :D