This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

update playonlinux?

samsonkohn1

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:13:52 pm

Hello, I am trying to install office 2010 and Internet Explorer 8 on to my system using wine / playonlinux and my system is telling me there is a newer version of playonlinux. I found where I could update wine and installed the most recent version. Not sure how to update playonlinux please help.
I am used to working with windows 2000 and currently I am using windows XP at my office. I am trying to get used to how Zorin works as a way to shift from windows products. Any assistance would be great thank you.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:15:34 pm

Hi samsonkohn1, and Welcome to Zorin! OK, first off go to their official site and download the latest version:

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html

After downloading, open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T or Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge playonlinux

You will be asked for your login password - you won't see any asterisks so be careful what you type - it will then ask if you want to go ahead and remove playonlinux - answer by presing the 'Y' key on your keyboard.

Next go to where you downloaded the .deb package of the latest version of playonlinux and right-click and install with Gdebi (if you have it installed) if not present, then install using Software Centre - it might complain that there is a version already present in the repos - ignore this and install any way.

With regard to installing Office you will have to unhide your Wine folder - go to your '/home' folder, press 'Ctrl+ H' to see all hidden folders - navigate to '.wine' and open it - in the 'C:/' drive create a folder and name it 'Office2010' - copy your 2010 DVD/CD content into this folder as you need to alter the permissions of the files which you cannot do on a read only disc! Highlight all the files and folders in the newly created 'Office2010' folder (Ctrl+ A to select all), right-click the selection, select Permissions tab and then 'check' - 'allow to run as an executable'.

Next open a terminal again and enter: 'winecfg' - this will open up your wine configuration settings - the default is XP - change this to Windows 7. On the Libraries folder you will need to manually add 'riched20.dll' or PowerPoint and other bits of Office won't work correctly.

Note: Access and Publisher will not run under WINE - only Word, Excel and PowerPoint. If you need Database then Base in LibreOffice is all you should need! and for Publisher equivalent, install Scribus.

You need to add the scribus ppa to your system: https://launchpad.net/~scribus/+archive/ppa

Hope I have helped and not confused! :D

samsonkohn1

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:14:39 am

Ok I am really trying to follow you.

I can get as far as installing with Gdebi. I did have to get Gdebi so that went well.
When I click on the downloaded package and open it with Gdebi package installer it starts then I get and error stating " Could not open 'main' The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check the permissions of the file.

I removed the download and re-downloaded it with the same result. I must be missing something.

samsonkohn1

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:18:26 am

I have also changed permissions to read and write with no change

Wolfman

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:59:42 am

Hi,

are you trying to install the package under your normal user account (administrator) or as a guest or other user?, that would explain why you don't have permission to open the file.

Have you also tried right clicking > open with > Ubuntu Software Center?.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:58:04 pm

Hi Wolfman, his issue is with Gdebi - I don't remember ever having to use Admin rights to use Gdebi after it has been installed. I will look again tonight as no time in lunch break! :D

Wolfman

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:07:55 am

Hi Swarf,

I realise that he is trying to use Gdebi but he has permission issues so it leads me to believe that he is logged in as "Guest"?.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:26:33 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi Swarf,

I realise that he is trying to use Gdebi but he has permission issues so it leads me to believe that he is logged in as "Guest"?.

or 'autologin'? :D

samsonkohn1

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:23:26 pm

No I am using my login not the guest or autologin. I have the system set to require a password.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:56:29 pm

Hi again, can you tell us which version of Zorin you have installed and whether 32-bit or 64-bit? Thanks. :D

Also have you fully updated your system after install via the terminal?

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
:D

Wolfman

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:48:16 am

Hi,

install the following package via a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

Once installed you will find it under "Users & Groups" and you need to check your user privileges with it, see also:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/66718/ho ... and-groups