This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

flash drive big problem

david7307

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:06:50 pm

i have a 8gig flash drive that i had working ok on windows7
i have downloaded zorin7 ,had zorin 6lts but found it buggy did not like it for what i was doing,
on 6 i had a problem with a 4gig flash there was a partition on it that G parted could not get rid of,
after using only windows for about a month i am now trying again with zorin 7 first time i use the 8gig ,a new partition arrives on it and i can not do any thing with it
i have tried to reformat drive, error after error Lip Parted errors out side parameter errors , i have tried using windows disk manager it cant do any thing with it
any help, it is ,and iam trying to format it to NTiF have not tried as yet to fat

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:19:04 pm

Hi david7307, You cant format to NTFS and expect GNU/Linux to install! If you don't have GNU/Linux on any of your machines, I would download and install Unetbootin and install the iso to that with persistence (can't remember if Unetbootin allows persistence (data retention after closing down) after you have formatted your memory stick to FAT32

david7307

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10:49 am

So i cant use ntif with zorin
that clears that up so how can i format it with fat32 gparted tells me its got errors when i try

Wolfman

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:16:24 am

Hi,

please take a look at this guide which helps explain all about partitioning:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00:20 pm

david7307 wrote:So i cant use ntif with zorin
that clears that up so how can i format it with fat32 gparted tells me its got errors when i try

If it has errors I would boot into windows and delete everything on there (provided no critical data present) and then run 'chkdsk' in case your flash drive has problems - if that finds issues you could have a failing flash drive - just like Hard Drives, they don't last forever! :D

Andrew

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:35:39 am

What I have found with using flash drives, is if you want to use them for installing any OS, (especially any kind of Linux OS), the flash drive HAS to be formatted in fat32 in order for it to work.....believe me, I've been there, done that, many times.......

Instructions for USB style or version can be found here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/ ... on-windows

Remember that if you're going to use a usb drive for installation, it has to be formatted fat32 or in their case fat16......from my own experience, ntfs will not work......hope this helps

Andrew