This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

thinkpad r31 graphical problems

dutcharjo

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:10:19 am

Hello,

Yesterday I finally managed to get Zorin installed.
To run the installer, I had to edit options and use 'nomodeset', otherwise nothing happened.

Now the installer was completely finished and Zorin was installed, I tried to boot.
Again, the same happened: all I saw was a constant black screen.

Therefore, in the boot menu, I edit the boot options, again with no mode set.
Now Zorin boots, but it's really slow and the screen keeps on flashing.
I tried to boot in recovery mode and see if I could fix something there, but I could not. I read something about crappy drivers so I am wondering if that is the case here too. I already searched the Intel website for linux drivers but because these are from 2004 or older, I think these should already be included in Zorin I guess.

image of the setting from the boot file: (got this in recovery made with failsafe graphics)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/529 ... 095629.jpg

i make a movie of what is happening, doing anything on the laptop is really hard.
movie:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/529 ... 100035.m4v

How can I have this fixed? With new / other graphics drivers? and how should I do that?

laptop specs:
thinkpad r31 2656
1,2 ghz Celeron CPU
632 mb ram
19 gb hdd, divided into 3 partitions:
/
/home
swap

intel 830m graphics chip

I hope you can help me, it's somewhat a dissapointment until now..

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:37:21 am

Hi dutcharjo, and welcome to Zorin. You have not stated which version of Zorin you have installed. If you have installed the Core version I would recommend, based on your thinkpad specifications, that you use Zorin Lite instead. If yoiu are still having issues with Lite, give LXLE or Trisquel a spin! ;)

dutcharjo

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:12:45 pm

yes, im using core. i'll try lite...

Wolfman

Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:33:23 pm

dutcharjo wrote:yes, im using core. i'll try lite...

Hi,

please bear in mind that Zorin 7 Lite support has stopped since December 2013!.

Source:

see releases here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu#Lubuntu_13.04

So download one of those Swarf suggested or wait until Zorin 8 Lite comes out!. Lubuntu is also a good call!.

Regards Wolfman :D

dutcharjo

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:53:03 pm

hi, I was aware of the support time for Zorin. Therefore I tried Zorin OS 6 (with LTS).

One other question:
is there a certain DE which is used in Zorin Core, or is it a specific DE which is developed specifically for Zorin Core?

I Mean: lite = lxde
is core KDE, or Gnome or is it a Zorin tailor made DE?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:16:59 pm

dutcharjo wrote:hi, I was aware of the support time for Zorin. Therefore I tried Zorin OS 6 (with LTS).

One other question:
is there a certain DE which is used in Zorin Core, or is it a specific DE which is developed specifically for Zorin Core?

I Mean: lite = lxde
is core KDE, or Gnome or is it a Zorin tailor made DE?

Basically Gnome but skinned with Zorin! :D

rickgtx

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:26:44 pm

@dutcharjo
Did you get the graphics to work on the Thinkpad R31 with Zorin Lite 6? I need to set the resolution to 600x400 on the external monitor to stop the screen flicking. I set mine up as dual boot WinXP 14GB, Zorin Lite 5GB, IBM_Recovery 1G.

I'll experiment with disabling Kernel probing by setting the option i915.modeset=0 in the kernel boot command line.

Update: Problem fixed
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.modeset=0"
sudo update-grub