This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Bind the Windows (Super) Key to the Zorin OS 7.1 Menu

Kibawolf93

Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:53:40 pm

I know on my old versions of zorin that I ran, I was able to use my windows key to open up the zorin menu, however when I decided to try out OS 7.1 I lost that feature from the older versions. Is there a way to add this behavior to the super key like how it works with mint?

madvinegar

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:33:23 pm

We have contacted the devs about that. There seems to be bug which will be fixed on Zorin OS8 after some updates.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:33:59 pm

It can be done in Cairo-Dock ;)

https://vimeo.com/85050945

It is still being processed at Vimeo as I write this - another 45 minutes to go! :D

Kibawolf93

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:35:59 pm

So best bet is to just wait until Zorin OS 8 comes out then?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:38:51 pm

You could try it now in 7.1 - I never tried that version but do so at your own risk - if you have any crucial data and you can't boot into 7.1 don't risk it - no issues in the release candidate. I followed my instructions given in Tweaking GnoMenu in 6 video also on Vimeo and referred to in the text beneath my latest video. :D Be patient! :D

blfriis

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:57:56 am

If you make a shortcut to open the menu I hope it doen't affect this super + http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3801

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:13:08 pm

Hi bilfriis, I am not using the AWN Panel to do that - I am using Cairo-Dock wit OpenGL:

To install, open a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install cairodock

Once installed install GnoMenu as outlined here:

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... unity.html

Then once you have installed right-click the Cairo-Dock and select 'Configure' - then go to 'add-ons' tab, then click on the 'get more add-ons at the bottom:

simply drag the GnoMenu Link down to the Cairo-dock - job done! You have to log out and back in again if you change the menu but the binding works 'out of the box'.

Update: Well none of the Super+ keys work (I don't use Chrome anyway - that is the first thing I remove after installation before the updated then I take out google from the Authentication list in Settings for the update manager! :D
I have the ZorinMenu on Auto hide in the left. I am not overly concerned on keyboard shortcuts to launch programs - so the caveat would be "DON'T INSTALL CAIRO-DOCK IF YOU ARE DEPENDENT ON KEY COMBINATION OF APPLICATION LAUNCHES!" :D

Screenshot Cairo-Dock with ZorinMenu.jpg

Contra

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:18:00 pm

I have a question Swarfendor437, I installed Cariodock, and it is awesome, can I turn off AWN?

or do I have to uninstall it?

blfriis

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:02:01 pm

Hi Swarfendor437 Ihave installed the cairodock, and it's good looking.I have kept the awn bar but placed it in the top, and made it autohide.So the super + a number still works. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:12:53 pm

Nice! :D Now I can choose between which menu I want to use!:

https://vimeo.com/85105549

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:37:52 pm

Contra wrote:I have a question Swarfendor437, I installed Cariodock, and it is awesome, can I turn off AWN?

or do I have to uninstall it?

Hi Contra, sorry I missed your post. My advice is just to autohide as it may make the system unstable - in earlier versions you could just uncheck 'launch' at startup but this no longer works. The menu was a lot nicer when you could change 'indicator applet 3' for 'notification area' and 'digital clock' which also showed the date - with Cairo-Dock you get it all! :D

cpfotiadis

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:32:48 pm

Hello to the community!

This topic was created in version 7 of zorin and now we are in version 9 and sadly this important problem still exist. For me it's a big negative that i can't open the default zorin menu with a key of my choice (i prefer windows key). Honestly, i think this issue should be the number one priority for the developers of Zorin right now. It must be fixed as soon as possible!

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:27:08 am

Hi, to resolve the issue, install GnoMenu - the one that ships with Zorin is called ZorinMenu which is a 'fork' of GnoMenu.

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... unity.html

Ignore the AWN install. You may also want to add applets and customise the panel like the good old days:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

cpfotiadis

Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:17:26 pm

@Swarfendor437 thank you for your reply!

Is it possible to make gnomenu look exactly like zorin menu? With the same theme, same icons, everything same?
I like how the zorin menu looks, i just want to bind the windows key. :)

PS. Regardless of any fix like this, the fix should be applied by default so the users can open the menu with the windows key (or something else).
At least until the forked zorin menu get fixed for this problem. It's a shame to have such a nice menu but you can't open it with a keyboard shortcut.

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:44:04 am

What happens is is that you get another 'Z' button that uses the original (I customised mine to be neon blue and black). You just remove the ZorinMenu icon from 'Applets' by selecting it in the bottom panel and clicking on the 'up' arrow above the panel replicator to 'remove' ZorinMenu from the panel. Remember you are just replacing the Menu not the icons on the desktop!

The only downside to doing this is that you won't get the aero effects with windows or 'move' windows using a key combination to move open windows around the desktop - so can be a bit of a pyrhhic victory! :D