This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Password Change failure

order99

Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:03:02 am

For security purposes I tend to change my User passwords every 60 days or so...upon attempting to do so, I found myself unable to access Users and Groups with either the old or the new passcode. Naturally I consulted the Zorin website and found the following helpful How-to:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5252

Sadly when I tried I received the following error:

passwd: authentication token manipulation error
passwd: passwd unchanged

In short-I can't access any Admin functions, can't get the account to respond with my old or new passcode, and get an error when I attempt the bypass in Recovery mode as indicated...I suspect I may have been hacked. Any ideas?

Current system is Zorin Lite 7.1, running on Pentium 1.4 with 512 Ram and 80 G HD. I'm planning on the next stable LTS release when I upgrade my hardware, but in the meantime i'd really like my Admin priviliges back in time for the last Security Updates...BTW, I am the only user of this system and also the only account.

Any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:12:38 am

Wolfman or Madvinegar will be around later.
As for the last security updates is concerned.
From what Wolfman is saying...there isn't any now.
Link Ref. : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6266
Hope they can help you get things straight until the release of Zorin OS.
Zorin OS 8 Ultimate/Core/Lite should be out pretty soon.

order99

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:38:44 pm

(Crickets chirping) :cry:

I take it that there is no recourse but to update saved data and do a full reinstall then?

Wolfman

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:47:14 pm

Hi,

if you want to keep your settings etc, follow this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Are you logging in as "Guest" only when you tried to change the PW?, you cannot do it from the guest account!, you must be logged in as your normal user/admin account!.

Regards Wolfman :D