This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Networking Zorin Computers

ExTankerDriver

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:51:59 pm

Hi,

This has probably been answered before, but I haven't found the solution yet. I have Zorin installed on two computers. Both are wireless through the router. I have a network printer that both computers see, and I can connect to the internet, but I cannot get the two computers to see each other on the network. I am relatively new to Linux, but if someone can tell me what to look for or even give me instructions on what I am doing wrong, I can manage it from there. :)

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:54:01 pm

Hi ExTankerDriver, and welcome to Zorin. This page might be helpful - if it is not what you are seeking, please come back to us for more guidance. :D

http://askubuntu.com/questions/135290/h ... -computers

Linx

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:49:23 am

are you talking about seeing the Zorin computers under
Zorin Menu > Network ??

If so, I believe that you have to install a samba client / server on the computer. (smbclient I think is a popular choice)

You can truely find out if the computers can "see" each other by doing this.
install openssh-server and nmap on each of the computers
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y openssh-server nmap

Then you can get the IP address from the computers by typing
Code:
ip addr

then make sure the other computer is listening using nmap
Code:
nmap -p 22 <ip_of_other_computer>

and if it responds with open then you know they can see each other, you should also be able to log via ssh using
Code:
ssh username@<ip_of_other_computer>

of course you will need to replace "<ip_of_other_computer>" with the actual IP address from the other machine, and you will need to replace "username" with the far end username you wish to use to login...

But that is kinda not for beginner users...