This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

almost unuseable without the internet

xavier587

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:05:16 pm

I downloaded zorin 7 when my pc crashed. I have no internet access at my house. Why does every thing seem so dependant on internet? I can't run play on linux because it needs to update. I can't run any programs I download to my tablet and then transfer because every thing is in source code. Can't compile it because wven the compilers are uncompiled. Can someone help me? I want to use this os. Its visually stunning. But I can't seem to usevsome basic functions

Wolfman

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:01:12 am

Hi,

firstly, a lot of apps need to be updated in order for the system to run correctly. If you didn't have an internet connection when you installed, it is quite possible that something went wrong because there are newer packages available for the system and without an internet connection; the system may well be unstable.

Secondly, Zorin 7 is no longer supported and you should update to version 8.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6277

Nearly every command to fix a problem with the sytem requires an internet connection, can you not plug in to a friends router to update the system and see how things go first?.

You can try this terminal command but don't hold your breath:

Code:
sudp dpkg --configure -a

Any packages you download should be .deb (32 or 64 bit depending on your system, all.deb work on both) packages only, there is no point in trying to install just source packages. That said, some packages will require further packages and without an internet connection, it simply won't work!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:55:01 pm

Hi Wolfman, this has been my gripe with a few distros - they don't come with the DKMS module plus something else which I can't remember - and you need to download these two packages - plus additional stuff that show up when selected - so if you don't have an ethernet port you're screwed! :(

And it is the same with 8 RC - haven't got round yet to burning the final release - downloaded 32-bit last night - still got to download 64-bit.

Need to update my download instructions to Firefox and Down Them All! best way for any download - even after logging out and back in again, Down Them All! continues where it left off! :D

Wolfman

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:53:15 pm

Hi Swarf,

I get where you are coming from but it won't help to gripe as that is the way it is with almost all versions of Linux that I have ever used!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:01:03 pm

Hi Wolfman, I know what you are saying but why has it never been looked at? Also it is going to put people off GNU/Linux, and more importantly Zorin - not everyone has the luxury to fall back on an older dongle that is picked up straight off! :D

madvinegar, is there a conflict issue with other softwares as to why DKMS-module for ndiswrapper is not 'packaged' with any Ubuntu 'fork'?

Thanks.