This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Printer Drivers

Gary_R

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:16:40 am

Hello,

I am new to Linux, (about a week) and I recently did an install of Zorin OS on a SONY Vaio Laptop (VISTA with some serious file corruption, so no loss). The install was super fast, same with the updates. No complaints, browsing was fast, and its super stable.

The problem I am running into is installing Printer Drivers from Xerox. I am looking to use this at my church on some of the other machines that are using Windows XP (that are working fine at the moment).
The Printer models are:
Phaser 3250
Phaser 3635MFP

I have attempted an install using the Linux driver packages that are available on the Xerox site, but I have been unable to get them to work.
Opened terminal, used sudo etc. I keep getting an errors saying something is missing, or can't create files. I have noticed that it is case sensitive when locating the files but when I use the cd command sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

The questions I have:
1) is there an easier/automated way to do the install than going through terminal? (the directions that are included with the printer drivers) .package file?
2) What is a good resource for learning the Linux commands particularly with Zorin os, so that when it doesn't do what I expect, I know what it is telling me?

Thank you.

Wolfman

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:23:46 am

Hi Gary,

can you post the link to the website where you got the info for the drivers please so we can see what type of packages you are trying to install.

For Xerox drivers, there is already one package in the repository and you can simply install it if it isn't already installed.

Open a terminal and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install printer-driver-splix

Make sure the printer is connected and switched on before running the above command!.

Oddly enough; this driver was already install on Zorin 8, what version of Zorin are you using?.

Regards Wolfman :D

Gary_R

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:59:23 pm

I think I did the install the day before the newest update came out. It recognized the printer at first, it installed, then it disappeared as an option. I will make another attempt the next time I get the laptop and printer hooked up. The Version installed is 7.1 at the moment, downloading the new version now.

Wolfman

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:39:42 pm

Hi Gary,

make sure the printer is plugged in and powered up and connected via USB cable when installing Z8.

Regards Wolfman :D

PS: Zorin 7 is no longer supported!.