This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Missing minimize/maximize/close

lenberman

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:09:59 am

I just installed Zorin OS 8 and I cannot find the minimize/maximize/close buttons on folders and windows. Please help.
Len

Wolfman

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:53:21 am

Hi,

do a system update as I am not having a problem, paste the following command into a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Let us know if it helps.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:51:29 pm

Hi lenberman, and welcome to Zorin! You could also take a look in Compiz Settings - Menu | System Tools | Preferences | Compiz Settings.

Look for the icon that says "Window Decoration" and if unchecked, check it! ;)

creaky

Fri May 02, 2014 11:57:07 am

Hi. Just wondering if there were any more ideas on this one as I am having exactly the same problem.

I have installed Zorin 8 on a laptop and all is fine. All buttons showing as they should be. But I've installed on a desktop, and the minimize, maximize and close buttons are all missing.
I have run the 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' command, and also looked in Compiz, and Window Decoration is already checked.

Any help very gratefully received! Thanks.

Wolfman

Sun May 04, 2014 6:36:43 am

Try pasting this terminal command:

Code:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout ':minimize,maximize,close'

Sometimes the problem is theme related, try changing to a different theme!.

creaky

Sun May 04, 2014 3:23:10 pm

Hi there. Thanks for that, but no, it didn't help I'm afraid. Nothing happened.

And also I've already tried other themes and that doesn't make any difference. Since posting on here I have read elsewhere someone reckoning it's a video drivers issue. I don't know if there's anything in that.

Thanks very much for the help.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 04, 2014 11:52:13 pm

If you haven't got Ubuntu Tweak installed already, download that (see Wolfman's post install guide and go to that section on how to install) - then go to Tweaks tab, then Themes tab and change them around to see what happens. :D

05.png

oxo42

Mon May 05, 2014 10:05:51 am

Hi

I had the same problem with OS 6.4 LTS / what I did was this ie:
Right click on the relevent Icon showing on the bottom status bar / then left click on MAXIMIZE it should then rezize the window so you can access what you want. It may seem to be the opposite to what you want to achieve, but it worked for me.
GOOD LUCK

Wolfman

Tue May 06, 2014 5:51:57 am

creaky wrote:Hi there. Thanks for that, but no, it didn't help I'm afraid. Nothing happened.

And also I've already tried other themes and that doesn't make any difference. Since posting on here I have read elsewhere someone reckoning it's a video drivers issue. I don't know if there's anything in that.

Thanks very much for the help.

Hi,

What graphics card you have, run this teminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command and post back the results please:

Code:
lspci

creaky

Tue May 06, 2014 10:09:47 am

Thanks all for your help. :)

Hi Wolfman, ok have done that. Results are..

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P Processor to I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

Wolfman

Wed May 07, 2014 6:50:42 am

Hi creaky,

you have an Intel graphics card which doesn't really help us further as most likely the best drivers are already installed!:

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

So you should install the package "gnome", (keep the LDM manager as default)! this will install a shed load of packages you don't need but I think it will solve your problem:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome

Then restart and try the command I pasted earlier and logout and back in again:

Code:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout ':minimize,maximize,close'

Let us know how you get on!. :D

creaky

Wed May 07, 2014 9:35:23 pm

Hi Wolfman

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble. :) But alas, no. I did all that, nothing's changed sadly.

I've got another desktop that was running Zorin and, like the laptop, was perfectly ok, until the hard drive completely died on me. Well, I've got another drive on it's way now so will install on that machine again and see what happens, but should be ok hopefully. So I don't want to put you to any more trouble really. But if you're happy to, will gladly meantime try any further suggestions you can make.

Many thanks again! :)

Creaky

Wolfman

Thu May 08, 2014 7:10:57 am

Hi,

if the hard drive died, that may have been the reason for the problem!. Good luck with the new one!. :D

creaky

Fri May 09, 2014 8:01:33 pm

Hi Wolfman :)

What I meant was, the hard drive that died was on a totally different machine, but Zorin had been running fine beforehand, so when I've got a new drive for it I intend to go back to using it. When it died I installed Zorin on the machine I'm using now, the one with the problems.

So I was saying I don't really want to take up much more of your time on a machine that's basically probably destined to become a 'spare'.

That being said, if you're still happy to make suggestions to try to fix it, I'm certainly more than happy to try them as I would still love to solve it and have a glitch-free machine to fall back on if/when needs be.

Thanks as always :D

Creaky

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 8:07:12 pm

Hi Creaky,

post your problems one by one on a seperate new thread(s) and we will see what we can do!. :D

Be back 2morrow!. :D

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 5:22:18 am

@Len,

has this solved your problem as you were the original thread start?. :D