This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 7.1 & 8 Hangs during installation

MetalMan66

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:26:01 pm

I am having issues installing Zorin 7.1 and 8 x64

For some reason the installer hangs or freezes when the wizard asks to select a language to continue installation. (the first step)

The loading wheel spins about 5 times before completely freezing and the computer stops responding

I have tried with no result:

-Checking the md5 on the iso file. It matched!
-Loading the installer under the safe mode provided at boot
-Disconnecting the following hardware from the computer:
-->Video Card
-->Cd drives
-->SD card reader
-->wireless card / network
-Tried the "nomodeset AND acpi=off"

I am skeptical about this being a hardware issue since this machine was running windows just fine. Also the live version of Zorin 7.1 and 8 works perfectly.

PC specs Desktop:
2.9 GiB RAM
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz × 2
Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV670

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am out of ideas.

Thank you!

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:43:42 pm

Hi MetalMan66, and welcome to the Zorin forum!

First off I would not remove the network card as you need to get updates during install. As you have checked the md5 sum and that is fine we can rule out the image you downloaded as being corrupt. What iso burner did you use? In Windows I will use nothing other than imgburn (www.imgburn.com) and change the speed to its slowest (1x). Other things to consider - have you ever cleaned your DVD lense with a Carbon Edge cleaner, such as the one Allsop do?

http://www.allsop.com/cleaning-/dvd-carbon-edge-pro-/

Other thkngs to consider ar the brands of disc you are using to burn to - have you burnt any other Linux distros from the same batch? I notice that your processor is at end of life - have you tried to see what happens with the LTS version of Zorin (Long Term Support) i.e., Zorin 6? :D

Linx

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:37:30 am

I may be mistaking, but aren't there 2 installers on the DVD?

You can boot from the live OS, and then run the installer while "testing" the OS or you can run the installer directly ... I have had an issue on some low end PCs not wanting to run the installer directly but it worked fine when installing from the "live" environment.

Have they both been attempted ?

Anonymous

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:56:39 am

Two things I had to do at different times for myself and others.
A good formatted > clean hard drive.
Installed from Zorin OS 7.1/8 live session.
Note : Sometimes it took up to three tries before I was successful !!!!

Wolfman

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:33:53 pm

Hi,

are you trying a DVD install?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Regards Wolfman :D